Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-01-2015 , 02:48 AM

Portrait of an Orc

Hi Guys,

Was inspired by some recent work I saw and thought I would start a new project. I haven't touched maya or Zbrush in a just over a year so feedback is appreciated.

Overview: Basic Orc portrait
Programes: Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop & Xnormal

I have completed the basic details and maps. Also if anyone knows of a good tutorial for creating hair systems from nurbs I think it would add some flair to the model. Also ignore the eyes and the texture it was something I banged up just to get some renders completed.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-01-2015 , 11:07 AM
The thin red line
Looking good, I like the eyes they have a good contrast with the skin colour...........dave

# 3 11-01-2015 , 02:20 AM
Thanks Dave,

I have been playing around with a few hair systems to try and give it some final punch.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of any good tutorials It would be much appreciated.

So far, this is what I have!

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 11-01-2015 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber
Nice model so far but it needs some specular and if you feel up to it some sub surface scattering :-)

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 5 11-01-2015 , 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
I say try some kind of SSS shader on the teeth as well.

- Genny
# 6 07-02-2015 , 10:29 AM
Banned
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your response, means the world to me. What I had intended was the jump to be in slow motion and then back to default as he lands but, obviously I didn't achieve that. I'm gonna make use of the links you gave me and work on producing a better demo.

Thank you once again

# 7 18-04-2015 , 10:37 AM

Feedback on the hair system

Hey Guys,

Finally had sometime to play around with a few hair systems. I am keen to get your thoughts on which of the below renders looks more realistic.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 19-04-2015 , 09:31 AM

Low detail Armour

I had sometime today as well and thought I would rough out some LowRes Armour to take it Zbrush to add a little character to this model.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 03-05-2015 , 12:23 PM

High detail Armour

I am not sure how I feel about the colors... Seems a bit brown when it is all put together. I was hoping for more contrast between the horns and the gold Armour.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 04-05-2015 , 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Currently the armor surface is mostly diffuse and the reflection color isn't that of gold. As a start, try a dark brown diffuse color and a pale yellow reflection or specular color (I don't know if you're using a blinn or mia_material - I'd suggest the latter) and boost the reflectivity a bit.

- Genny
# 11 06-05-2015 , 07:34 AM
Thanks Genny, I agree the materials are wrong and don't display correctly based on the material I am going for... I attached a new screen shot. I have played with the contrast of colors a little bit I feel it makes it seem more like a material armour would be made from. If I get some time tonight I will play around with a few mental ray materials.

Attached Thumbnails