Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-05-2015 , 05:44 PM
Subscriber

Bend deformer along curve

Hey Folks

I have been all over the internet trying to find the answer to this one and I've reached the end of my patience. What I am trying to achieve is pretty much what the standard bend deformer does but the only difference is I want it to unfold along a pre-defined curve. There are literally hundreds of tutorials about the bend deformer all doing the same thing, unfolding along a flat plane but none on how to do it along a curved surface. I have also tried paint effects with control curves to no avail and baking the bend deformer into the geometry then curving it afterwards. This last option didn't work as I no longer had the control I required. Bit of a grey area whether it belongs in animation or modelling but as it's a geometry deformer I chose modelling.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Last edited by scantillycladwell; 05-05-2015 at 05:48 PM.
# 2 05-05-2015 , 06:42 PM
The thin red line
have a look at "flow path object"...................dave

# 3 06-05-2015 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. I had thought of that. But the design on top of which i'm trying to model has a lot of sharp corners and overlapping curves which cause the subsequent over lapping lattices created by the flow motion path to deform the geometry in crazy ways. See my image attached for an idea of what i'm trying to achieve. I want the final logo to look like it was created out of rolled out paper, similar to a quilling technique. I am trying to get tightly rolled up geometry to fold out along the curves in the image to reveal the logo. In fact the bend deformer does not seem up to the task as I cannot get tight enough rolls. It funny, I'm really shocked at how difficult this relatively simple idea seems to be.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 07-05-2015 , 07:39 AM
The thin red line
I think some thing like this would be better done in some thing like after effects or nuke......................dave

# 5 07-05-2015 , 08:33 AM
Subscriber
Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. To go into details I want the rolled out paper/card to be coloured/textured on one side and white on the other with a depth in the y axis of 1 unit. I also want it mounted on a white piece of card so that from an above angle the logo can only be defined by 1. the colour bounce off the rear of the cards and 2. the shadows cast by the height of the cards like the image attached. 2.5D could do somewhat of a good job on the latter but not the former. At least in After Effects i'm not familiar enough with Nuke to make that kind of assumption. In any event Maya should be able to do what I require, I just need to find out how.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by scantillycladwell; 07-05-2015 at 08:58 AM.