Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-09-2015 , 03:56 PM

Need Long Term Roadmap

[Newbie Alert]

I have the basic background: took a graduate school CAD class about linear transforms, etc. I also have a minimum experience with SolidWorks. Until yesterday, I had never heard about Maya or related software.

My long term goal is to go from a JPEG image all the way to a scientific simulation of one particular historical event. See attached image. For now, all I have is Photoshop and Illustrator. Most of the material is from other sources, but I have my pet theory, explained in the image with the red disk.

Is Maya appropriate for this pursuit? How hard/how long would it take to make a professional image of the bone disk? Let's say I find and hire a person to do that. What will s/he deliver? An MPEG?

Is there a free Maya player?

TIA

-RFH

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Ramon F Herrera; 15-09-2015 at 04:58 PM.
# 2 16-09-2015 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
its a little vague to be honest, maya can do prety much anything you like as long as you have the time and resources to get it done. Its used throughout the feature film industry so yes maya can do this.

to what you will get delivered, should be agreed by you at the point you hire someone, a professional should be able to deliver what format you want.

Maya is a very very powerful application, if you are interested in maya may i suggest some of Daves Tutorials on this site as they are the best i have bought / used throughout my time using Maya. I have been using Maya since version 6 and still learn new things all the time.

This tutorial is of exceptional value and skill. Here
Cheers

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1

Last edited by mythandra; 16-09-2015 at 02:46 PM.
# 3 20-09-2015 , 07:50 PM

Are you available for hire?

to what you will get delivered, should be agreed by you at the point you hire someone, a professional should be able to deliver what format you want.

Thanks, mythandra! After doing some research in these few days, I have a better idea about what I want/need. I am planning to acquire one of these models:

https://www.cgstud.io/3d-model/human...a-rigged-38575
https://www.cgstud.io/3d-model/human...-anatomy-38487

And hire somebody to add the bullet and its effect (the red disk made of bone in the back, hold by some sort of stretching blue "glue", until an explosive release occurs).

Are you, or perhaps somebody else among the participants available to do this sort of work?

I don't have a big initial budget BUT you could get a lot of exposure with the work.

TIA

-Ramon

# 4 20-09-2015 , 07:55 PM
Allow me to add this: a feature that I envision and could be really cool (i.e., attract a lot of viewers, become viral in YouTube and elsewhere) is some interactive slider control which will display that image, all the way from:

(a) A perfect photography (3D) of John F Kennedy, taken from some existent ones

(b) A cranium alone.

The flesh would become increasingly transparent.