Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-10-2015 , 03:01 PM

Edge loops and smoothing driving me crazy!

https://i.imgur.com/xrrvmRt.png

So I was following a tutorial to model a katana, all well and good, until this part. First; the top end of the blade, which was extruded from the rest of it originally, seems to shape itself differently to the rest of the blade. As indicated by the left arrow, I can't seem to get maya to treat the blade tip and end to be one, smooth, shape. As for the second arrow... well, that's a bit of a gaping whole, but for some reason maya won't let me add edge loops to that area! user added image

For reference, this is the tutorial I am following: https://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mo...art-1--cg-2631

This issue occurs from about stage 56 onwards.

# 2 07-10-2015 , 03:31 AM
Lifetime Member
The first issue is caused by internal faces. Navigate inside your model (or turn on xray mode) and you should see faces inside. Delete these - they are caused by extruding edges instead of faces etc.
For the other side it may be caused by internal faces again (I can't tell without actually playing with the model) but if not I would just delete the problem face and use the append to polygon tool to create new ones and

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 07-10-2015 , 11:02 AM

The first issue is caused by internal faces. Navigate inside your model (or turn on xray mode) and you should see faces inside. Delete these - they are caused by extruding edges instead of faces etc.
For the other side it may be caused by internal faces again (I can't tell without actually playing with the model) but if not I would just delete the problem face and use the append to polygon tool to create new ones and

And what? AND WHAT?!

Heh, just kidding, I got the overall idea. I'll give that a go, and if it fails I can always upload the scene file somewhere?

# 4 07-10-2015 , 09:51 PM
Lifetime Member
Yeah, see how you go. If it doesn't work you can always upload a zip file with your scene here and I'll take a look.

Cheers, the Yeti.