Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-10-2015 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber

some advice on bendy holes needed!

hi guys, I need some advice on how to proceed with this bit of geometry -

I'm trying to model the piece in the middle diagram - I'm just working out how to do it right now, its not precise, and i can model the top piece and the holes as a planar fine, but then I'm not sure how to bend it to get the overall shape

or as in my second picture i can model it with the bend first but then i cant get the holes right as i use a cylinder as a guide and snap the vertices,

whats the best way to do both these things in one? (hope this makes sense with the images below)

any advice really appreciated,
nicky

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-10-2015 , 09:28 PM
The thin red line
Create a sphere under your first flat mesh with the wholes in it (might need to reverse your normal to face the sphere) then select sphere then your flat mesh then go to transfer attribute with the setting I have.....................dave

Also see link:https://mayaspiral.blogspot.co.uk/201...rojection.html

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 16-10-2015 at 09:30 PM.
# 3 16-10-2015 , 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm, looking at the first image, I wonder if a soft select with an adjusted fall off curve work. Not the exact same profile but you get the point. Worth a shot!

user added image

- Genny
# 4 17-10-2015 , 01:46 PM
Subscriber
thanks guys, a bit of both and i got it!