Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-10-2015 , 08:15 AM

Trouble selecting the correct object

I was searching for my problem and I didn't find some topic similar to my trouble.

This is the matter: I'm modeling a big boat and sometimes I want to select a small object nearest to other in my scene but when I do, in most cases select the nearest object instead of the one I want, I know I'm placing correctly the cursor on the object but still having problems. ¿Is a problem of sensibility in maya? ¿How can I fix it?

I hope I have explained correctly, T will appreciate every attempt to help. :)

# 2 21-10-2015 , 02:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
There's a few things you can do.
1) If you have an organized scene, you can select objects in the outliner, which can be faster
2) If you have different object types (curves, surfaces, polygon meshes) you can change selection filtering in the status bar to only select the type of object you want
3) If you're working with just a few objects at a time, you can use isolate select to hide other objects
4) You can use display layers and put various objects in a reference or template layer to make them unselectable
5) Zoom in really close before clicking on something

6) If you think it is really a problem with selection sensitivity, you can change the settings in Preferences > Selection > and the Click box size

# 3 21-10-2015 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber
nice essence of all the options :-)

# 4 09-11-2015 , 10:21 AM

There's a few things you can do.
1) If you have an organized scene, you can select objects in the outliner, which can be faster
2) If you have different object types (curves, surfaces, polygon meshes) you can change selection filtering in the status bar to only select the type of object you want
3) If you're working with just a few objects at a time, you can use isolate select to hide other objects
4) You can use display layers and put various objects in a reference or template layer to make them unselectable
5) Zoom in really close before clicking on something

6) If you think it is really a problem with selection sensitivity, you can change the settings in Preferences > Selection > and the Click box size

You literally saved me, thank you Sir. In particular, The 6th option was the solution, I knew some of the others "tricks" and I was using them as a temporal solution for the problem. user added image

certainly husbyhogan was right with the comment.

Last edited by Keruanima; 09-11-2015 at 10:23 AM.