Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 316 27-06-2003 , 02:26 PM
"but of course you are rendering from the cmd line.. "

Yeah, but it still doesn't make that much of a difference. if it works, it works with or with out maya up, if it doesn't than it won't work even if I use the CMD line. Also, I noticed if Maya is taking up alot of ram, sometimes all you have to do is Minimize it and it "transfers" the memory usage to Virtual Memory instead of the ram. I think so anyways. In anycase, eitherway when I get x amount of detail, it just crashes on me. Grrr. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 317 27-06-2003 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber
brian my vehicle is the same way scaled down, no where near as complex, no where near as much computing power. When i creased the edges the first few times i realized how mesh-heavy an operation that can be. I like it creased 2x or 3x, but even with JUST the body displayed its slowing down. I don't use layers, but i use alot of grouping and hiding wich is similar. Im finilazing texturing now with some procedural dirt and hopefull the geometry will be all done. So all i'm saying is i feel you're pain!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 318 27-06-2003 , 08:23 PM
okay..
but as far as i know, and i should know considering its my major at my univeristyuser added image,
maya (or any other program) doesnt handle the swaping by it self.. thats mostly the os. at least in windows..
all programs just reqest a 'page' of memory and the os finds it for the program.
if theres no free physical ram some other (no way to know witch) page gets swapped out..

but yeah after a while i guess all the non used mayaui pages whould get swapped out.. but i don think one should count on that..

maybe you should try to up the maxpages(or whatever its calleduser added image cant remember right now) key in the win registry.. that might solve the problem.
it whould allow maya to allocate more pages and thus use more memory

also the whole thingy about the 32 bits not beeing able to hold long memory adresses is kinda off cuz:
1: all programs work with relative memory adresses witch then are translated and and fetched by the memory controllers(not the cpu it self)
2: pages are in turn treated as relative adresses..
and
3: porcessors can split long numbers into more than one registry(tiny and very very fast memory units, for all you non hardware geeks out thereuser added image) inside the processor meaning that there in no such limitation.
the cpu loads and processes the first half and the other half.
(this is all in the compiling)

BUT doing this takes more(twice as many at least) clock cycles for a 32 bit processor compared to a 64bit one..
also there are lots of other optimizations.. but thats the main one..

hope that cleard up more confusions that it created user added image

anyhow id sugest getting a hardcore tweaking prog like x-setup found at: https://www.xteq.com/
and upping the max pages any program can allocate.. after that it should work.. user added image

----------------
edit: i dont know if youre as much of a geek as me so im downloading and finding the spessific setting for ya.. i'll check back with the info later user added image

sleep is for lam3rs

Last edited by aL_3891; 28-06-2003 at 08:13 AM.
# 319 27-06-2003 , 10:12 PM
ok im back..

ive gotten slightly less sure that its gonna work but it might user added image

the reg key is called IOPageLockLimit. (almost sure)
my theory on why you machine locks up is that the amount of solid vertex data (reaaaalllllyy long arrays) gets larger than the maximum amount of data that can be locked for IO transfer (ie written to disk at one spesific time) that not the same as when you lets say are copying a file cuz the file get cut into chunks that are written one at the time

when the vertex data(or whatever it is thats causeing the crach) gets larger than that size (65536kb by default) and the os tries to swap it, the renderer craches..

note that this is just a theory user added image

when you open x-setup pick default ui, for power users.
then go to system > memory > I/O LocK Pages.
select a higher value.
reboot and try again..

now i wont take responibility if this dosent work and something happens.. it is reversible. but worst case senario is that you have to reinstall windows.. (but thats very un likely)
but i still gotta warn you..

as with all tweaking make sure youve backed everything up properly b4 doing anything.

hope it works user added image

sleep is for lam3rs
# 320 30-06-2003 , 04:14 PM
"when you open x-setup pick default ui, for power users.
then go to system > memory > I/O LocK Pages.
select a higher value.
reboot and try again.."

Thankyou very very much for all of the information that you have posted al. I really appreciate the long reply, I will try it out, but probably not until my final render, just to makesure that Windows isn't going to be screwed up. Yeah todays the last day right?? I am working on finnishing the textures up, and a final render. Thanks,
Brian E

Please check
My (old) website!
# 321 30-06-2003 , 08:39 PM
np dude user added image after all if it works im gonna see that mean looking car in its full glory so it kinda pays for it self user added image

sleep is for lam3rs
# 322 01-07-2003 , 01:11 AM
Hey! only a few hrs left! I have been working on a final image for a while now, should be done in about an hour maybe alittle more, and its only 8pm here!! Unfortunatly it won't be in a real photo because I have been working really hard this Mo on the modeling. Probably some of the most intense modeling I have done to date! Well guys, gotta get cracking!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 323 01-07-2003 , 01:17 AM
The Maya Mountain
looking forward to it. user added image

# 324 01-07-2003 , 04:05 AM
I cant wait to see this Brian.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 325 01-07-2003 , 04:07 AM
Hope you guys can stay patient enough user added image I just got done doing the final touches of the textures, I am rendering final images as we speak. THanks!! Can't wait to show you guys!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 326 01-07-2003 , 04:10 AM
Good. I will be here when you post.

# 327 01-07-2003 , 04:13 AM
Is it done yet??? Is it done yet???? Is it??? I have been waiting on this for a month. Is it done yet??? How many more seconds, huh, huh, huh???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 328 01-07-2003 , 04:20 AM
Subscriber
drknow, lol wait a lil bit..>i'm sure it's gonna be worth it! user added image

Brian dont go to sleep w/o posting the final image!!!! user added image

-Emo

# 329 01-07-2003 , 04:26 AM
Hehe. I am about to piss myself with excitement.

# 330 01-07-2003 , 04:30 AM
lol you guys are funny well... I will not sleep untill it is finnished! I am rendering with MR so its taking a while. Its 11:23 here, so I still plan on getting this done by 12. But if I can't it will be just after. ok?? Wish me (my Computer) luck.. BTW is crawling along at 1.6 gb of memory being used right now, when I onlt have 1 gb.

Brian

Please check
My (old) website!