Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 61 14-10-2003 , 09:23 PM
The advanages to a mech is speed, better terain ability and a more steay barrel. Funny how we built these rock crawlers and tanks and then you watch the camera men run into possition on top of a hill to show exactly what the think can climb. Put spikes on its feet and it could run up a glacier. If the torso could move up and down to steady the barrel you also could have a more acurate fire control. You are right about the low siloette but a tank cannot crouch behind a hill. pop up for a second and crank a round off before hiding again. They just do not have the tech for the engine and gyro control yet. It will come.

# 62 14-10-2003 , 09:56 PM
A mech should have the ability to strafe too user added image

# 63 14-10-2003 , 09:57 PM
Btw, Japan will probably be first with mechs, for obvious reasons.

# 64 14-10-2003 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
Awesome man ! I wish i could model like you someday

# 65 14-10-2003 , 10:12 PM
All i can is wow. That is amazingly detailed!

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 66 14-10-2003 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
>>You are right about the low siloette but a tank cannot crouch behind a hill. pop up for a second and crank a round off before hiding again.

No that's why the military combine current classic operational advances with attack helicopters like the Apache. Walking mechs are a nice concept but the lacking technology would probably be the ability to create a sufficiently recoiless main armament not to knock it on it's arse when it fired. That's in terms of realistic technology available today, not in the future.

>>The advanages to a mech is speed, better terain ability and a more steay barrel.

MBT's are currently fairly speedy and tracks move faster than legs. While the terrain point is well made it is unlikely the barrel would be more steady under current design parameters than on an MBT. But you don't need one vehicle or combat machine to do everything, trying to do that is a noticeable feature of some WW2 German tank designs that never got off the production line. The Romans perfected the idea of using combinations of assets to win battles and modern armies are no different - one size does not need to fit all.

Last edited by Witchy; 14-10-2003 at 10:24 PM.
# 67 14-10-2003 , 10:28 PM
A mech could do something a tank cannot do. Lean into the fire. Stand straight on you heals and fire a 12 gauge and see what happens? Sorry, I should not argue this on his thread. It is a beautiful model and I will leave it at that.

# 68 14-10-2003 , 10:35 PM
Subscriber
>>A mech could do something a tank cannot do. Lean into the fire.

The principle in tank recoil is the turret is, in effect, leaning into the first movement. If you plot the recoil on a main armament you could see that. If there was not that structure and flexibility the armament would force itself off the tank when it was fired. To combat the recoil in a main armament like the M1A1 you would need a great deal of lean, think standing on your heels to fire a 109mm wheel mounted gun rather than 12 gauge shotty. That sort of thing is not going to come about until someone takes the majority of recoil out of a main gun with a more effective buffer. I was not saying it could not happen, merely that it could not now, it's simply a matter of physics and currently available technology.

And I wasn't arguing, simply stating a view, sorry if that offended you.

Last edited by Witchy; 14-10-2003 at 10:37 PM.
# 69 14-10-2003 , 10:46 PM
No offense taken. I just feel bad taking up his thread. I think there are a lot of hurtles keaping us from having a 70 ton legged vehicle with a 120 mm smooth bore cannon. Haha.

# 70 15-10-2003 , 12:33 AM
Subscriber
You thread hijackers you! user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 71 15-10-2003 , 12:39 AM
hey fredrikson when are you posting the final integrated and firing tank? its pretty cool what you have done, just tke it to its end and show us user added image

-----------------------------------------------------------
on the tanks/mechs discussion i have to say that a geekier guy than me alrready made calculations about area in contact with the ground and wight VS terrain resistance and arrived to the conclusion that if they got built no mech the size of a tank or bigger would ever step out of heavily concrete reinforced roads... (by far, not even considering advancements in materials technology that would make it lighter) so mechs just cant be done no matter what tech involved just because they would sunk and or slip in most grounds thus being extremely inefficient as warmachines...

# 72 15-10-2003 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
dragonfx: I haven't touched it since that last image, there was this summer tourney that took a month and after that I moved to another city and now I'm doing a bunch of other stuff. I opened it again today though, seeing what was left and considering what to do with it. It would take quite some time to uv-map it, and a bit more to texture it. There are also some parts left to model. I'll see what I can do though, in the coming week(s).

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 73 15-10-2003 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber
>>You thread hijackers you!

You'll never take me alive, copper!