Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 08-07-2003 , 04:22 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys... I am trying to scrape up some time to start modeling. I have been spending my time on ihe moon man guy in the WIP section. Today I put that one aside and blocked out the basic shape for this guy, I will post some thing tomorrow evening.

Traiven- how was spirited away? It looks like it would be awesome! I have to rent that one.... net flicks here I come!

AD- New pc yet?user added image

# 17 08-07-2003 , 04:49 AM
Pretty good actually. I bought it more for its artistic values, than for its plot. The movie kinda rambles on in the middle, and i'm not big into anime, but theres an incredible amount of attention to detail that just makes it a joy to watch. I was able to find it previosly viewed at blockbuster, which was a good deal.

# 18 08-07-2003 , 05:00 AM
Nah mate, I´m trully f*cked up for now.

I´ve given up on waiting for it, I´m just going to continue my studies, -just started today another term-, and make the best time out of my day without having to resort to Maya. There´s a pretty graphic post that illustrates how I feel about it in the mods forum. Let´s just say it´s graphic.

I love watching you guys entries though, and if I have anything I might say to help out, I will.

# 19 08-07-2003 , 05:09 AM
I would love to ask you something though ...

What would you say is the best starter kit -you know pencils and such- a young fledgling artist like me should have? What do I need -equipment wise that is-? I mean things that I should always have around.

Could you take a pic of your workplace?
I can see something about your illustrations, and that is the fact that you rather enjoy making those, and I believe your environment has a lot to do with that. Perhaps a few words of wisdom mate?

# 20 08-07-2003 , 05:23 AM
Subscriber
Did you actually draw that though and the man on the moon? If you did then wow! I never knew you drew your own stuff howard user added image. I am also wondering the same question adl is. I truly need a wacom though, i know that.. and dual monitors. that would brighten up my day user added image. lol

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 21 08-07-2003 , 05:29 AM
You should see Howard´s site then M. user added image
He´s an illustrator, and one of the best at that.

<-- Remembers when he would go around SM´s IRC channel shouting "This hogwardspotter guy´s no noob!"

# 22 08-07-2003 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber
WHoa!! Very nice howard! Didnt realise you had a site quite like that! Very nice indeed.

# 23 08-07-2003 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
M- I sure did draw that stuff user added image

ADL- That sucks man... I am going to search for that post in the mod section... I was checking out your daily sketch section for a while and they were coming out really nice. I loved the eye/nose/mouth studies you were doing.

as far as a starter kit: all you need is a stack of paper and something that you can write with. Draw, draw, draw and draw some more. everyday try to learn something new. analyse everything you see. this way you will be able to draw what know not just what you see.

acquiring the knowledge is the hardpart, the rest is mechanics.

but if i could suggest one thing to have, it would be a lightbox or table. that is if you arent working digitally. I couldnt work without mine.

here is a shot of my very,very, very messy studio. I share an office with Ron Garney who draws XMen for marvel comics(he drew the Hulk for a while and designed those hulk-dogs in the movie)

My computer crap is nothing fancy. 1 monitor and its pretty small too. (I do have a video card that has two outputs though)

anyhoo, here is the mess--->

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 08-07-2003 , 11:29 PM
Subscriber
Cool setup! user added image

Would like to have a little artist corner at home, but there's lack of space for that at the moment...

Stefan Doverud
<a href="https://www.doverud.com/">www.doverud.com</a>
# 25 09-07-2003 , 12:08 AM
Subscriber
stedo- I just checked out your site. Nice lighting man!! :thumbsup:

# 26 09-07-2003 , 03:14 AM
Subscriber
ok here is what I have so far:

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 09-07-2003 , 03:16 AM
Subscriber
and sub-d

please hit me hard with c+c! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 09-07-2003 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
um, when you are through with your image plane... how do you delete it? user added image

also:ADL- I cant find that post you were speaking about.... I guess its for Mod's only eh?

# 29 09-07-2003 , 03:20 AM
Kewl man!!
that looks great.
i love the toad look!!
the only thing that looks kinda weird is that fold in that outer part of the stomach looks a bit to sharp ( i hope you understand what i mean)

but it really looks awesome, keep it up!!

- TwEeK
# 30 09-07-2003 , 03:28 AM
Subscriber
Whoa.. thats an amazing setup! TONS of money went into that i bet. I know how expensive art things can get, especially all the pencils, prismacolor markers (not cheap) and all that other stuff. And man, the real world.. i keep my blinds shut too user added image..puts too much of a glare on my monitor user added image.

As for the toad, its amazing how you can get it looking like that with so little polys! Really looking good though! Maybe add a bit more definition in the legs, show that theres a calf there, and a kneecap. His sides lack lats.. so maybe add some merging into his arms. Other than that, wonderful work so far!