Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-09-2003 , 12:31 PM

My First Human Head

Hi everyone,
For a long time, i'was dreaming to build a human head, finally i decided to start it. My head is in polygons, starting from a cube and go ahead with split tool.
Textures are all painted in photoshop, no photos used.
I hope to get a feedback from you, it's my first post here.I hope you like it first user added image then you tell me what's wrong and if there is something to fix. thanks in advance.
BTW, it's done in Maya.
user added image
user added image

Last edited by lazzhar; 03-09-2003 at 01:14 PM.
# 2 03-09-2003 , 12:50 PM
Really nice head mate...... overall head is in good proportion.

Few areas you might want to look at are.

1) Ears where they join the head... the postion is good, just need to smooth out the transition from cheek to ear.

2) bottom lip seems a bit od. just pull a bit of it out .. its just seemd to far in.

Great stuff, keep it up....

Kurt

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 03-09-2003 , 01:12 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick feedback Kurt user added image
you are right about the ear, it's a seperated piece. I didnt want to merge it with the head till i finish texturing. i just need to combine the low poly pieces then smoothing will fix problem i guess. anyway it's not hard to fix it.
I'd like to hear about the texturing also please.
Thanks you very much.

edit: Here is some wires of the model before smothing. sorry for posting a lot.
user added image
user added image

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

Last edited by lazzhar; 04-09-2003 at 12:42 PM.
# 4 04-09-2003 , 06:37 PM
I think you are doing a great job!
Only tiny little comment is that since the texture of the skin is so realistic, you should wok a little more on the eyes. I have been working hard lately to develop some kind of eye texture that looks realistic and I include here an example (just look at the eye, disregard the rest...). If you are interested let me know.

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 5 05-09-2003 , 10:58 PM
thanks
event though the picture you posted is not clear, but it seems that the eyes are very nice. I'm really having troubles with eyes .

# 6 06-09-2003 , 10:35 PM
Ok, I don't pretend to offer the perfect solution, but I hope to give some interesting ideas.

You need to start with a good picture of an eye. There is much complexity of colors in the iris, so even if you want to do it by yourself in Photoshop, I suggest still to get a photograph and study it. Another thing I would do is to avoid making the white of the eye just white. Add some hint of yellow and pink and of course, if you have some time to spare, you can have fun creating the fine network of veins in the eye. Here is a small Photoshop example: I did it in 2 minutes, so I am sure you can do WAY better than that.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp prova_eye1.bmp (263.7 KB, 199 views)

Sy
# 7 06-09-2003 , 10:39 PM
Now to make the material in Maya, I found the best way to make in general a shader with a "wet" look is a Phong with the following settings:

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 8 06-09-2003 , 10:44 PM
Of course, the color is the file you created in Photoshop.
One thing I found makes a dramatic difference is to add a very subtle bump map to the eye. Now, I know that the eye doesn't seem to have bumps of any kind, but bumps help to break the highlights of the eye, and give the impression of a tear lingering on the surface of the eye. I personaly like it very much, and with a bit of time, you can play with the bump map to make it look like some tear collected at the border of the eye lid and so forth. For this example, I added a generic noise, so forgive me for being a bit lazy.
And this is the result of 5 minutes work. As I said, this isn't a perfect recipe, and I am sure people with much more experience than me are having a good laugh at my attempt. But I certainly hope I gave some interesting ideas. Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 9 08-09-2003 , 10:10 PM
Very nice, i really appreciated the eye user added image
recently i've worked a little bit on my head, here is some updates.
Excuse for the eyes, i"ve not seen your suggestions till right now.
Hope you enjoy my work user added image
user added image
Some other angles
user added image
and a clean render:
user added image