Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-09-2003 , 04:33 AM
Subscriber

September Challenge - Sporktine - Noob

Aight, I'm going to do the environment, considering i'm looking for work as an environment modeler / designer! I was looking for something to do with myself before i take classes next month and this is it! I think the other reason I chose this project is because the concept art is so damn fresh. I checked out his site and that studio is lucky to have that kid. Couple him with some good texturers and modelers and you have some sweet output.

I almost went for robots, but since it won't help me get the job I want, here goes... wireframe soon.

Spork Spork Spork!

# 2 06-09-2003 , 04:47 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looking forward to it! user added image

# 3 06-09-2003 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber
Ya-haw! Another contestant. Looking forward to seeing what you can do.

# 4 08-09-2003 , 11:00 PM
Subscriber

first update

Ok, here is a pic of the beginning of the model, since i'm a noob, i'm going to start asking loads of q's user added image

first, i modeled the building cylinder separately and am working on the strut like things that go around the outside, separately. my plan is to detail about 1/4 of the whole cylinder, then duplicate with rotation to get the rest of it, combine it, then texture it. my first question is if there is a good method for attaching this "strut" to the cylinder. i'm experimenting at this point, so any advice would be welcome.

i looked at the ouput of "combine" but i would rather have exatly connected lines and vertices. my first instinct is "cut polygon" but i'm not 100% sure.

Attached Images
# 5 08-09-2003 , 11:08 PM
Well you could do a boolean to join them together. But I wouldnt.

For low poly modelling (which this challenge focuses on wome what), booleans tend to give you a messy mesh to carry on with. I would delete the hidden faces on the strut, the ones that are hidden inside the cylinder, and then just use poly combine.

# 6 08-09-2003 , 11:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
Or just leave them seperate. I would do as Icarus suggests and delete faces that are not visible.

# 7 08-09-2003 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
i'll just do a little strategic deleting and combine them then. one question about combine... if i texture an object, then combine it with another object, will the uv map for the first object stay the same?

# 8 09-09-2003 , 12:06 AM
The Maya Mountain
yep

# 9 11-09-2003 , 09:19 AM
Subscriber
so here we go. i'll post a new pic in a sec. man, this is almost theraputic. do you remember that kid that had all the gi joe battle sets in your neighborhood? i do. i hated that little punk. in any case, this is like getting to make your own. i'm having a blast. so... here is the next pic, next post...

i'm thinking i'm going to have a lot of trouble texturing this beast, considering the number of strange projections lying around. the main tower in particular is going to have a very strange automatic projection. if anyone wants to give me some tips on texturing, i'd love to hear it.

# 10 11-09-2003 , 09:25 AM
Subscriber
here is the next progress pic.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 11-09-2003 , 11:43 AM
Subscriber
Nice progress so far. Keep going!