Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 07-10-2003 , 06:53 PM
hi dave!!

Thanks for ur tips!!! I'm not a very good photoshop user... im learning as i go user added image but be sure i'll follow ur recommendations....

Hopefully the next update will have it! user added image

Again Thanks

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 32 08-10-2003 , 02:59 AM
Nice one bro!

Just wondering about your towers. they look like they got a huge poly count on the flat sides. if it is your render will take longer
and your view port will slowdown heaps.

I would only bevel 3 to 6 new polys on the edges. it's really for the lighting so that you dont get harsh bright & shadow area's.

If all the towers are the same, just make one, texture & duplicate
it around instead of having to manually texture everything ova & ova again.

lookin good!!!!!

xian

# 33 08-10-2003 , 10:18 AM
o shit..good job man! im learning maya on my own too. youre learning very well. keep it up =)

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 34 08-10-2003 , 01:28 PM
thanks guys! I need the moral support cause sometimes is just (at least for me) a little frustrading hehehe.....

All tips are welcome!!!

Orge: hehe welcome to newbie world!!! user added image, hope i can see some of ur work too man!! user added image

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 35 08-10-2003 , 01:35 PM

Originally posted by xian
Nice one bro!

Just wondering about your towers. they look like they got a huge poly count on the flat sides. if it is your render will take longer
and your view port will slowdown heaps.

I would only bevel 3 to 6 new polys on the edges. it's really for the lighting so that you dont get harsh bright & shadow area's.

If all the towers are the same, just make one, texture & duplicate
it around instead of having to manually texture everything ova & ova again.

lookin good!!!!!

xian

Hi Xian and Thanks,

About the towers, how can avoid that?

# 36 10-10-2003 , 05:06 AM
hi tank.

I'm not entierly sure how you built them. there are heaps of ways.

1: a single bow with no segments ie six polys. and bevel the side edges.

2: a box with many top to bottom segments and move the vertex's toward the edges.

3:a box and extrude each poly seperatly and scale down,

4: a cylinder, select a 1/4 of the verrtex (from the circle, top down) and move them to the corners of the tower.

5: a box and run the slice / cut poly tool to give you the extra polys.

I'm not sure if his helps. what I recomend is to figure out as many different ways as you can, think of the pro's and con's & time it'll take then pick the most appropriate one.

xian.

# 37 10-10-2003 , 01:50 PM
thanks xian... hopefully i will post my new update on monday I have all weekend to work with it!!! user added image

# 38 11-10-2003 , 03:19 AM
Look forward to seein it Bro!

mind if I ask how you are learning maya?
ie a course or tutorials at home?

xian

# 39 12-10-2003 , 07:42 AM
tank2002 In Photoshop, Got to IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE and set it to 640 x 480 pixels or lower. The default settings will have the proportions constrained, so just type in 640 for the top box and it will automatically resize it accordingly. Then resave your images to where you're hosting them so that the ones you have up here now are updated to the smaller size.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 40 12-10-2003 , 07:47 AM
Like this tank...

Attached Thumbnails

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu

Last edited by dave_baer; 12-10-2003 at 07:51 AM.
# 41 14-10-2003 , 01:28 PM

Originally posted by dave_baer
tank2002 In Photoshop, Got to IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE and set it to 640 x 480 pixels or lower. The default settings will have the proportions constrained, so just type in 640 for the top box and it will automatically resize it accordingly. Then resave your images to where you're hosting them so that the ones you have up here now are updated to the smaller size.

user added image

10-4 , i'll do that, thanks for the tip....

# 42 14-10-2003 , 01:50 PM
hey guys!!!

I'm kinda stuck here, with textures and the ground:

1- Does the ground looks credible or fake?

2- I have some photos of rocks with snow and a green ground but looks fake and i want to make this ground look real...What kind of texture i should use on the ground and montains cuase the pics i have makes the ground look like a PS2 game....and i'm experimenting with the noise and fractal bumpmaping

3- does any one knows a good tutorial to make clouds with fluid?
I have maya 5 unlimited

Any tips let me know pls

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

# 43 14-10-2003 , 02:22 PM

Look forward to seein it Bro!

mind if I ask how you are learning maya?
ie a course or tutorials at home?

xian

IM learning on my own, with books , online tutorials and the great help i have here!!!

# 44 15-10-2003 , 12:59 PM

Originally posted by tank2002
IM learning on my own, with books , online tutorials and the great help i have here!!!

Dude your doin fantastic!!!

Q_ how did you make your terrain? displacement map?

the terrain looks a little low poly with a smooth on it.
that can be cool if textured & lit right, but can easily look like a game (caus games have fairly low poly limits)

if you r goin for realism chuck in a few planes with photographs (alpha mapped mountains, some clouds, trees etc)

they do that in the movies, cg will look cg unless your really reallly good or you got an awsome team. movies composit hundreds of images ontop of each other, mix real and the not real, helps hide that its not real.

and maybe some bolders? forrests? fog?

like I said before, you goin great, keep it up bro user added image

xian

# 45 15-10-2003 , 01:38 PM

Dude your doin fantastic!!!

Q_ how did you make your terrain? displacement map?

the terrain looks a little low poly with a smooth on it.
that can be cool if textured & lit right, but can easily look like a game (caus games have fairly low poly limits)

if you r goin for realism chuck in a few planes with photographs (alpha mapped mountains, some clouds, trees etc)

they do that in the movies, cg will look cg unless your really reallly good or you got an awsome team. movies composit hundreds of images ontop of each other, mix real and the not real, helps hide that its not real.

and maybe some bolders? forrests? fog?

like I said before, you goin great, keep it up bro user added image

xian

Hi Xian!!

The I did the Terrain using a poly plane and using the artisan tools (push and pull)...in maya 5 there are some fluids tools i know i can make clouds explotions etc with it but i can't find a tutorial to do that do you know where i can find one?

Again thanks for the moral support I need it that since this texture part got me on my knees!!! user added image

again thanks!!!! i'll post a new one very soon....