Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-10-2003 , 04:25 AM

Rendering For Maya

I know the rendering system in maya isnt the best, some say it is, some say there should be a third party involved. If the last statment is true what rendering system would be the best to get Quality out of and efficiency. thx (maya 5 unlimited)

# 2 11-10-2003 , 04:49 AM
Subscriber
I believe Mental Ray comes with Maya 5.0 and I have heard that it's a lot better providing you know how to use it. You cannot do post-rendering things like Maya fur, Paint FX, or glows however.

I've heard "Renderman" a few times, but don't know anything about it really. It's fairly popular so you might think about looking into it.

I don't own either though and just stick with the regular rendering system in Maya.

# 3 11-10-2003 , 05:37 AM
Thx for the reply man, ill keep lookin i guess

# 4 11-10-2003 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
Renderman is awsome, and works well with Maya.
Plus you can achieve amazing fur and paricle effects.
I believe they have also lowered thier price, it's a lot more affordable now.
Takes some learning, but the help is good and it has a massive community.

# 5 11-10-2003 , 08:30 PM
The Maya Mountain
I've not had any problems with Maya's normal renderer. You may need to experiment and such, but that's the same with most renderers.

# 6 14-10-2003 , 09:13 AM
Chris_H, i think Renderman is ONLY for maya. and it is said to be the best renderer on the market, the last time i checked the version on the market is compatible with maya 4.5 not 5. Pixar will probably release that after they made use of it for a couple projects. (that's what they did with the last version) i could be wrong but its worth the research. i think mental ray is a pretty kick @$$ renderer in itself though.user added image