Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-08-2003 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber

Games Character

I just had a go at modeling a gargoyle for a game... I am limited to 1000 polys so far I have reached 980. All you gamers out there tell me what you think. I will start texturing and rigging soooooonnn!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 08-08-2003 , 04:55 PM
cool man!!

is it possible to see a wire shot?

- TwEeK
# 3 08-08-2003 , 05:02 PM
The Maya Mountain
To be honest, it looks more like a 500-600 range model than closer to a 1000. I think you may have some areas where you have too many polys that are not doing anything to form the shape, if you take my meaning.

Hard to tell without a wire, though.

# 4 08-08-2003 , 05:22 PM
Alot of polys went into those wings, and Im not sure it was worth it. Id say add more to the head, its the area thats given the most attention.

# 5 08-08-2003 , 05:31 PM
Same sentiments as Mike. It would be great if we could see a wireframe shot.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 11-08-2003 , 08:48 AM
Subscriber

Update

Well thanks guys n' girls I have been working on it over the weekend. Removing extraneous polys and rebuilding the wings and adding more features and well here it is now... (with wireframe... and exactly 1000 polygons!).

Actually, while we're at it can anyone tell me quickly how to render from Maya with a wireframe on the image rather than taking a screen snapshot?

Attached Thumbnails

Gazzamataz
# 7 11-08-2003 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
i dont think that qualifies as 1000 polys - there is a lot quads. if it is for a game, and they want 1000 tris, then you got a problem. are you going to make a high res version of it to normal map it on the low poly?

# 8 11-08-2003 , 10:20 AM
The duck makes a good point. The final poly count is only when youve triangulated the mesh. Since a game (as well as maya) renders triangles then your final poly count is likely to be higher than 2000.

# 9 11-08-2003 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
Baby Duck & Icarus_UK I am a step ahead but well spotted! That helpful chap Dannyngan gave me a script that gives the polycount HUD in triangles. So what you are seeing as 1000 poly's IS triangle polys. I haven't converted to triangles cos I prefer working in quads. I will triangulate later. Here's what Dannyngan said:

You can get accurate counts either by using the Triangle Count HUD from the Bonus Game tools or using this script: polyEvaluate -f;

Gazzamataz
# 10 11-08-2003 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
that is interesting gazzamatas - i did not know that the games hud uses the same words. i think i am going to try out the bonus games thingy - hope it works with 4.5, and not only in the version that is part of 5.0 (is it, i dont know for sure).

and i am still interested if you are going to normal map your creature or not user added image

# 11 11-08-2003 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber
Er, I think I need Dannyngans help again...I did plonk the 'polyEvaluate -f' script in but when I triangulate the model it doubles the polys... user added image

Help! I though that after running the polyEvaluate -f script the HUD was telling me how many triangles I had in the model not quads...

Guess I am gonna have to leave it as it is or start ripping out polys.

Babyduck, I am gonna texture it low poly as you see it. It's all part of me learning curve. I am gonna have to get the bonus Games Tools.

Gazzamataz
# 12 11-08-2003 , 03:39 PM
You know what, I gave you the wrong script. Doh! It should be 'polyEvaluate -t' and not 'polyEvaluate -f'. 't' for triangles, 'f' for faces. A little typo on my part. Sorry if this has caused you any problems.

[feels really stupid now...] :p

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 13 12-08-2003 , 05:14 AM
you can take quite few polies out of those wings. if that's going in a game, you should just use a properly shaded texture instead of having 3D bones. with most game engines you probly won't see a difference.

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 14 12-08-2003 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber
f50 I see what you mean. Just create a poly shape for the wing and then put a well detailed texture onto it - I might try that later. My poly limit has been increased to 2000 now so I am gonna stick with it as it is for the moment.

I am in the process of UV mapping then I can get on with texturing - I am really looking forward to this!

I have in the mean time bought the 'Learning Maya: Games and Interactive' book, got it cheap £23ish instead of $90 or whatever from Canada. So I will be burning the midnight oil learning all the techniques it has to offer!

Gazzamataz
# 15 13-08-2003 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber

Update

Whew!! I have finally finished doing the UV map... took a while cos I did an automatic one cos I wanted to learn how to stitch UV together and learn the tools...

Anyway, I will be colouring in me model tonight (hopefully - that's if the missus doesn't lure me away user added image ). Here is the UV map so far:

Attached Thumbnails

Gazzamataz