Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 136 27-11-2003 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Kevin and Lonepig user added image
You guys are great here at SM.

Kind of lost the plot a little the last two days, and am not making much progress. I've also got a load of stuff to do on the run up to christmas so might not be able to afford as much effort as I've been putting in so far. That's life!
Obviously I really want to finnish this though as I've enjoyed the challenge so far. So we'll just have to see what life has in store eh?

Thanks again,

Chris

# 137 02-12-2003 , 01:40 AM
Subscriber
Hope you make it Chris, I know what you mean by time-wize, but I think it is good learning user added image He is looking really good and can't wait to see the end result, whether it be for the final or thereafter!

# 138 02-12-2003 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Ice Queen,

not too sure what's going to happen as far as continuing this challenge at the moment. Seem to be getting more and more things put on my plate by the day. But as you say, it's great learning and well worth taking part.

The moment I can clear my other responsibilities I'll be back on the case, just not sure when that will be user added image

# 139 04-12-2003 , 02:47 AM
looking nice Chris my man! but can we see a shot of the new textures front-on? user added image

# 140 04-12-2003 , 04:17 AM
I just read the whole thing, and it is amazing how fast you have been doing this, yet your attention to detail never stops.
I hope you realize that, at least to my standards, you are definitely qualified enough to at least do texturing tutorials if not modeling tutorials, as well(and probably everything else but i haven't seen it).
Im 16 right now and have been modeling in Maya (from dad's work) whenever i get the chance, and look at tutorials to figure out, step by step how to do what i want to do. I was wondering what really jumpstarted your 3d career, whether it was classes, experimenting or something like that.user added image

# 141 04-12-2003 , 04:26 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looking forward to seeing the Bruce Lee part start to come through. user added image 1 month left! Hope you finish.

# 142 04-12-2003 , 06:11 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guy's!

Still not found any time, but haven't given up hope of finishing just yet.

Zyk0tiK,
I'll post one when I manage to get to the next stage, sorry it just has to wait.

nvaughn,
thanks for the kind words!
There are lots of talented guys making great tutorials here. Maybe when I get the time, I may do a summary of making this character for my site, but not even thinking about that at the moment to be honest, just need to get him finished. But nice of you to say so user added image
I started in 3D (not yet a career) about 3 years ago with a free version of cinema 4D, a great app for getting your feet wet. I then got the bug, big time. I had been painting for years(traditionally) before that. Then wanted to transfer my skills to Maya so went to college, which was a huge waste of money! always research the course well beforehand! So I've pretty much remained self taught, with the exception of good tutorials of course. I would just experiment with everything and don't be daunted by what it can do. Sorry for the boring biog doodsuser added image

Mike,
thanks for the encouragement,
and btw, I love the new hairdo

https://www.thecloudcatcher.com/mike.jpg

# 143 04-12-2003 , 06:15 AM
The Maya Mountain
lol user added image

# 144 04-12-2003 , 08:42 AM
Subscriber

This is Awesome!!

Wow the modeling is fantastic and the texturing is even more outstanding!!
I was watching the Two Towers Extended edition dvd's special features and there is a feature on how they created Gollum. I think they used the same idea as you, and used layered texturing to create his skin. (Have you thought abuot being a texture artist...I have noticed CG humans are becoming popular in movies, as well as other photoreal creatures. Your technique for the painting the skin would make me want to hire you!).
Please even if you don't get around to finishing for the challenge, I would love to see the end result of this. Great work!!

Tim

# 145 05-12-2003 , 02:45 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Tim,

no matter what happens, I will post the final version here at SM.
Yeh, you are right, texture artist is probably one of the positions I'm best suited to, and one of the roles I most aspire to.

Thanks again,

Chris

# 146 07-12-2003 , 09:06 AM
Subscriber

# 147 07-12-2003 , 09:53 AM
Subscriber
Looks great, I can almost hear him saying "smegal !"

# 148 07-12-2003 , 03:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
You might consider going ahead and making whatever clothes he's going to have (karate robe, or whatever) and then determine how you want your texture, as there's not much point in detailing the skin where it won't be seen. user added image

Looking good!

# 149 07-12-2003 , 04:08 PM
Subscriber
Holy chupacabra, that looks great, man! I hope you'll have time to finish it. Keep it up!

# 150 08-12-2003 , 04:51 AM
Subscriber
HA! this is really coming out awesome - nice skin tex you have got going on.