Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-11-2003 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber

Nov/Dec - Character - Basketball - MastahUK - Noob

I am very new to maya, and even any modelling in general, but I think 2 months should give me enough time to put something together. I can make objects ok, it's just my characters that need some (ok.....'a lot') of attention. I guess that kinda gives me a disadvantage here, huh? user added image

Anyway, I came up with a cool concept where I will put some of the hobbits in basketball vests and shirts and place them on a basketball court against normal-sized people. I will most likely make a '2 on 2' street basketball court.......that way I can make less people user added image. I will also get a chance to try out some 'dirty' street textures.

Wish me luck! I'm gonna need it to stand any chance of finishing.

# 2 06-11-2003 , 04:23 AM
The Maya Mountain
woah, that's a lot of characters. Good luck. user added image

# 3 07-11-2003 , 05:17 AM
luck! user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 4 07-11-2003 , 02:26 PM
Subscriber
I like that as a noob you set your goals to such a large project. Remember, nothing is out of reach. Great enthusiasm.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 07-11-2003 , 07:47 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the morale support user added image.

I wish I had something to show at this stage, but I'm still learning. It seems enthusiasm is one of my only qualities at this stage :p

# 6 08-11-2003 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber
Lol, I think I might be a bit over keen to show some progress....

Anyway, I have spent a while on this ear and I have gotten it to a stage which I am rather proud of. I'm gradually getting there. Also note that it isn't blended to the head yet, just scaled and positioned.

I do have one question though: What would be the best way of making the clothing for them? Should I model the body first and then add the vest/shorts as cloth, or should I model it onto their bodies from the start? I may decide to animate this at some point, so what would be the best (easiest) way?

Attached Images
# 7 08-11-2003 , 12:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
nice job. user added image

Unless you plan on showing the character without clothing, skin beneath would not necessarily be needed.

# 8 08-11-2003 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber
Thanks mike, couldn't have done it without ya user added image

I have now completed the basic shape of the head, and have attached the ear. Can you see the resemblance to Frodo? user added image

Attached Images
# 9 12-11-2003 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Unfortunately, I may have to drop out of this challenge user added image

This is because I will be very busy with college and my web design for the next month or so, and I don't think I'll have enough time. I will keep working on my models though, as I want to do it anyway - so if I do make some rapid progress, I will show it here.

Just letting you know I won't be updating this for a bit, if at all. Maybe I will have more time for some of the next challenges.