Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-11-2003 , 04:37 PM

Fish

Ok well I never used anything like this prog before, I used truespace 5 years ago for a few days, but never got into it, but I thought I would try again with maya PLE, I have read a few tutorials but I have come stuck a lil, I have used Smooth Proxy and thats all very nice, but now I want to be able to edit directly on the model itself which is proving a dificulty as I cant get to the object, anyway heres my fish I have done! First model ok guys take it easy on me.

Attached Thumbnails

I am not worthy!
# 2 22-11-2003 , 04:41 PM
and here are a few more angles.

Attached Thumbnails

I am not worthy!
# 3 22-11-2003 , 06:52 PM
Subscriber
Good first model imho, has a nice shape - are you going to texture it or try something else? You could try making the tail a varying thickness from top to bottom- it's a bit flat compared to the nice curves on other things.

# 4 22-11-2003 , 07:37 PM
I would but I dont know how to texture properly I have done another fish since then, cause I couldnt edit the face on the fish user added image Thank you for your comments though, as soon as I figure out how to texture properly I will texture it user added image I decided I would start afrtesh as I wanted more definition around the eyes so heres another version heres my current model, I really would like to get it as good as possible.

Attached Thumbnails

I am not worthy!
# 5 23-11-2003 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
if your doing it in polys, just smooth it insted of the proxy. let me know if you need more indeapth help there.. nice fish !! I was wandering in PLE dose it have the water mark even in the hardware render ?? also will it let you get regular screen shots ?

# 6 23-11-2003 , 10:13 AM
I just started it again with the second one smoothing pollys, unfdortunatly neither will let you get rid of the watermark! so until I have an od 1200 pounds to spend! you'll have to do with watermark pics user added image I could do with some help though in the area of texturing, I applied a basic texture but in some areas it apears streched, I am not sure why though. As far as modeling goes I would like to try to figure out how to attach surfaces next.

I am not worthy!
# 7 23-11-2003 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber
well to aply textures to it you should UV map.. there is lots of stuf about UV maping. to use shaders though its not as hard.. but shaders don't work really good for organic things. To get the streaches out you need to move the UV points around so that more of the texture gose to thoughs poly faces that look streached.

can we see a wire frame of your model ? I don' t know if the printScreen key works with the PLE..

# 8 23-11-2003 , 12:31 PM
Sure user added image I took off the shading so you get a better view, I'll look up those tutorials sometime, I am trying to master modeling first.

Attached Thumbnails

I am not worthy!
# 9 23-11-2003 , 01:33 PM
Subscriber
Question time... are you useing subD's ? or Polygons ??
and are you tweeking the shape with how its pictured hear ?

BTW I think the mouth is cute.

# 10 23-11-2003 , 03:12 PM
I am using polygons, not sure how to use sub d's yet, and yes I am tweaking the image as it is. Is that where I am going wrong ?

I am not worthy!