Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 76 21-11-2003 , 02:52 PM
Kevin
excellent job pony, and some great comments in this post!

# 77 21-11-2003 , 02:56 PM
Subscriber
oh seeing the map might help.

Attached Images
# 78 21-11-2003 , 03:40 PM
The Maya Mountain
Looks pretty good to me. user added image

# 79 21-11-2003 , 04:10 PM
Subscriber
That's laid out really nicely Pony!
Good job.

I'm using the same texture refernce map for Gollum, I find it really usefull.

Can I ask? Have you created several planar projections, then stitched, or used multiple types of projection?

# 80 21-11-2003 , 06:33 PM
Subscriber
Kevin, THANKS !! (smile)

Mike, oh I appreciate it. I will take your word for it, as your very good with this part.

Chris. Your Gollums cool. Your doing great with the textures.
of curse you can ask. Yeah I used planar for all of the UV mapping. 1 from the side with the hole side including the outside of the legs. 2 for the inside of each leg. Repeated thoughs steps for the other side of the horse. (witch I might not have had to do had I UV mapped before I mirrored it) 2 from the front for the ears. and one from the top for the wobbly bits.. I hid the selected faces as I went to get them out of the way. I didn't bother with more than that because I would had to pull out only a bit around the edges anyway to get it to lay out the texture ok. I stitched the inside of the legs on. I will be stitching it down the middle, along the top. But I haven't yet till I get it all laid out just how I want.

I toke a lot of screen shots while I was doing it if you want to see some.

Last edited by Pony; 21-11-2003 at 06:35 PM.
# 81 21-11-2003 , 09:41 PM
I cannot believe I missed this one. Very good. Haha, I guess there is no question it is a male horse. Tell the truth you kind of nead to model that. I think most people are to held up on being PC that modeling suffers.

# 82 21-11-2003 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber

:D

Wow - I missed a LOT of stuff happening here recently, that is a very fine looking horse and I see lots of them (surprisingly maybe?) round here. Lovely work.

Scraggy

# 83 21-11-2003 , 10:19 PM
Subscriber
Well pony will surely kick me in the teeth if i don't post here so here goes:

My my you are soo good at 3d! You were born for it definately, this horse model is perfect. I can't wait to see what you churn out in the texture area for you're map is also flawless. Don't forget to add tons of wires and cool looking electronic stuff in the leg terminator style. Like i said you should definately look into the velvet shader on www.highend3d.com and trying to duplicate or modify it. Don't forget the rider of you're horse, because you'll wanna spend a deal of time on her too. I will certainly write more later, when theres actually something to crit, right now its all just perfect.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 84 22-11-2003 , 03:00 AM
Where can you find that texture with all the differentcolored and numbered square tiles?

# 85 22-11-2003 , 03:08 AM
Subscriber
There's a zip file including it on page 2 of this thread.

# 86 22-11-2003 , 09:40 AM
you'v done some fantastic UV work on the horse dude, very good work! :O i cant see a single stretch anywhere, (which i cannot say about max payne 2 *grumbles*)

# 87 22-11-2003 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber
RickStefani, I’m happy you found it ! Thanks, and oh I most certainly agree about the people being held up buy being PC !! LOL. I mean, it’s a animal ! If people don’t like it they should put clothes on there pets !! do they ?? no.. but anyway.. I really enjoyed the play banter about the privet parts earlier in the thread.

Scraggy_Dogg.. dude !! that nic reminds me of the Salty Dog surf and T-shirt shops in FL. Anyway.. thankyou for noticing a horse. Hay when you see models of a horse, point me in the direction as I would love to compare notes. Thanks again.

Vector, you got it man! I will on that velvet! I think that is a great idea.. although it would be much more needed if the horse was to be a different color than Wight. I think I’m going for Wight on this. Oh I will not forget the rider !! Looking forward to that part much my self. You remember the robot right ? well hopefully it will be better than that.. and I will not have as many problems this time.. have a neat thing or two up my sleeve for that anyway.

Witchy thanks for answering the question, and double thanks again for posting the file for me !

Zykotik, thanks. I tried.. I might have spent to long on it right now.. need to keep the pace up to finish what I want to see. But it is satisfying to see it looking nice. Maybe we could figure out something for the max payne 2, together.

I apricot all the comments !! keep them coming. Well as soon as I get over the hump of the slow textures.. C+C always welcome !

# 88 22-11-2003 , 12:23 PM
no seriously, i well hate that user added image

you see here, 3D Moddelers who arent employed, doing better jobs then people who are /payed professionals/ it makes me sad.

# 89 22-11-2003 , 02:13 PM
Subscriber

Last edited by Pony; 22-11-2003 at 02:15 PM.
# 90 22-11-2003 , 04:47 PM
Subscriber
Good start. If you are using PS I have a set of custom hair brushes (I didn't make them I hasten to add) which are rather fun and which might assist with fur production if you would like them.