Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 22-01-2004 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
Hi Ice...sorry i missed the previous post...i seem to get frustrated with the skin weights tool , the rigging im happy with...seems everytime i adjust weights on lets say the right shoulder ...the vertices around the upper leg pop out (when i rotate the shoulder to check)...i fix that and of course other values on other vertices then change and it seems to go on and on...i have had a complete side of the character almost perfect...i mirrored and the result in the paint weights window looked perfectly mirrored but when i rotated a joint all hell broke loose with vertices popping out everywhere.
(im getting an expert at fixing out of control vertices but still keep getting new ones)
Iv followed a few tutorials already and no luck..mikes tutorial on his lookalike character was the first (very good too) but his model is in different parts so would not necessarily have the same kinda results, as mine is one whole mesh...i did use the same settings to try it out though...but my results are always the same...iv tried holding weights on the joints..although i read not reccomended to hold more than two at a time as you go.
Either im missing something or just a little dumb at grasping the fundermentals of this tool.
Thankyou for taking an interest Ice i really appreciated it and as soon as i post this ill get on to that tutorial and reply with any results..

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 47 22-01-2004 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
Oh i dont see a skin weighting tutorial there. user added image

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 48 23-01-2004 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
Thought it was the rig you had probs with, sorry. Why dont you just not use the mirror skin weights tool, just paint as you go along. No idea why the values of other skin weights should change if you yourself did not change them. I'll keep my eye out for some tuts user added image

# 49 23-01-2004 , 01:07 AM
# 50 23-01-2004 , 03:41 AM
Subscriber
I tried that one first Mike.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
mikes tutorial on his lookalike character was the first (very good too) but his model is in different parts so would not necessarily have the same kinda results, as mine is one whole mesh...i did use the same settings to try it out though...but my results are always the same.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 51 25-01-2004 , 07:17 AM
The Maya Mountain
should work the same way, no matter how many parts you have.

:shrug:

# 52 25-01-2004 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber
Ya your right Mike...just that i seem to get more vertices to put right...i just suk with it is all user added image...im staying away from it awhile and doing some rigid binds just for the enjoyment of getting stuff to work lol...like mechs n stuff.

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 53 28-01-2004 , 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Chipper
...and doing some rigid binds just for the enjoyment of getting stuff to work lol...like mechs n stuff.

um.. care to elaborate(making a mech).

# 54 28-01-2004 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
Well actually im building a female android type model at the mo...kinda alloy type thing...more of a female terminator (the original) but far less intricate.

"Hear That Thunder"!!