Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 31-01-2010 , 05:55 PM

Dishaping a polygon advice.

Hello,

Fairly new Maya-ist here.

I'm trying to create a 3D "palisade" for a 3D isometric medieval game. Medieval thusly means the poles should look like tree trunks that were cut down, had their edges chopped for height and then one of their tips "sharpened" with an axe or something. Basically, something like this:

https://landgasthof-am-limes.de/asse...bu_1007_002.jpg

The issue is that right now, mine look like this:

https://i45.tinypic.com/2exrq5k.jpg

It's a cylinder polygon of which the center vertex of the topper face I pulled up to give the tip. So is there any way to quickly "deform" and give a shape jagged/twisted edges? Also, for the tip, is there a way to add a bump map or change the color of a portion of the same polygon?

Any advice on how to make these poles I've made look less "perfect" will be largely appreciated!

(If I should just re-do the whole thing, feel free to say so!)

Best regards.

# 2 31-01-2010 , 07:39 PM
Lifetime Member
all the things you want to achieve will require you to uv map the cylinder, map it with cylindrical mapping and maybe map the tapered top seperately.Once you have it mapped you can create a 2D texture for the post and sharpened top and if you want a bump map although to get jagged edges a displacement map might be a better way to go.
Another option is to add a lattice deformer (found under the Animation menu set ) and deform a few posts with that before dupication.
Personally if it was me i would add a few loops to the taper and phycally model it uneven and then add a bump map . you could do maybe 3 or 4 different ones and then duplicate them with different y scales for the hieght and with different rotations too.
If you wasnt so new to Maya you could duplicate with random values for both of these with a simple script but im guessing Mel is a little too much at this point .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 31-01-2010 at 07:43 PM.