View Poll Results: Do you like it?
Yes 3 33.33%
No 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 18-09-2005 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
Coming along MUCH better!!! I must say I like the way the neck area is shaping up.

I concur with Rupert, still a bit too much space between the nose and mouth. I'd enlarge the nose, and the nostrils and lower half of the nose could still stand a bit more fleshing out. I'd also pull the inner edges of the eyes farther out of the skull.

Heads are VERY hard to model, but yours is coming along very nicely. If you have access to skull reference, use it early and often!

Carry on...

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 17 19-09-2005 , 11:10 AM
Thanks for the critics user added image

I'll try to realise your suggestions. We'll see what comes out. The only point I'm afraid of, are the ears. I've no fu***** idea how to model them user added image

Maybe someone could give me an advise. *g*

Fubar.

# 18 20-09-2005 , 07:38 PM
Subscriber
"Stop Staring" by Jason Osipa, gives a good ear tutorial. The ear is modeled seperately and then attached to the head. Really, all you need is good ear reference (any anatomy book, the internet, or just have sopmeone sit by you while y6ou study their ear), and you can create the ear seperately.

Once the ear is created, you will need to adjust the geometry of your head to accept it (split polys or whatever other method you like). Then snap points, merge vertices, and adjust the ear until it looks right.

You can either start with NURBS curves (loft surfaces and then convert to Polys/Sub D's, or just leave 'em NURBS if you like), or a poly cylinder. Scale and pull points on the cylinder until it is roughly the shape of an ear, and then extrude faces, split polys, &c as necessary.

Whatever the case, you'll never know until you give it a go! Have at it...!

Carry on...

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 19 21-09-2005 , 05:38 AM
Subscriber
i personally like the ear tutorial on this site. Check it out, its not very expensive and its a pretty quick and easy way to do an ear. Basic idea for this method is create a poly and split it along all ridges and extrude.

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 20 21-09-2005 , 01:11 PM
Subscriber
I didn't realize there was an ear tutorial on this site! Must have missed it...!

Carry on...

"Ad astra per aspera..."