Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 20-06-2007 , 10:29 AM
I got permission to use the reference pictures from www.stockhouseplans.com so I'm pretty excited about that.

If anyone's looking for some reference pics to do house, this might be a pretty good place to start. And if your house(s) look better than mine, well, nothing would make me more proud.

They said as long as it wasn't for commercial purposes or making money and that I posted a link to their site, all's good.

Unless I take a break from the Summer Challenge, I won't have any updates until early-mid August. I have a feeling though that I'll end up modeling a couple before then.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 17 22-07-2007 , 11:24 AM
I probably should have been spending time on my Challenge entry but I wanted to model so I started another house. I did some more to the previous house and have been working on this one for 2 evenings now. I'm actually modeling the interior walls and doors too.

As you can see I started playing around with paint brushes (flowers). I had to convert them to poly's in order for them to render. I'm rendering with MentalRay with Raytrace shadows and caustics turned on in the globals (just one directional light). I'll focus on rendering quality more when I have enough houses to make the neighborhood. Hopefully my computer will be able to handle grass (might not create grass until much later...we'll see).

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 18 22-07-2007 , 11:25 AM
closer view

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 19 23-07-2007 , 06:43 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 20 23-07-2007 , 09:35 AM
Subscriber
I really like this house, the only thing I don't think fits with this one is the bright green tree all the way to the right.

I need to learn how to do better textures, and I need to get a better graphics card, haha.

Keep up the good work, would love to see this neighborhood.

# 21 24-07-2007 , 05:50 AM
I knew I'd get a comment about the bright green tree, haha. I tried for about 15 minutes to make it dark but couldn't figure it out. I like the tree shape but not the color and didn't want to spend much time on it.

As far as textures for the houses, nothing special. Everything is just blinn colors. I found pictures of siding, roof tiles, and grass on the internet which I applied as textures. Used planar mapping and scaled. I spent less than 30 minutes total adding all the colors and textures. Once I get enough to make the neighborhood, I'll probably try and find someone to do the texturing who can do it justice. I'll most likely ask njon to the lighting.

Anyway, here's the house I started yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 22 24-07-2007 , 05:52 AM
another wire.

note: I did the walls before the roof even though I posted the roof wire first.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 23 24-07-2007 , 05:53 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 24 24-07-2007 , 05:57 AM
last one til I get a chance to make some more progress. Probably tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 25 24-07-2007 , 06:04 AM
forgot to post this progress snapshot.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 26 24-07-2007 , 09:02 AM
Jr.Who
If you want, I have a grass texture that isn’t too harsh.
user added image

Attached Images
# 27 24-07-2007 , 12:34 PM
Looking great man!

Only crit that I have is to make a texture forthe grass rarther than the procedural/repreated one that youve got, maybe wqait tillthe end then texture it in photoshop to make a seamless version

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 28 24-07-2007 , 02:45 PM
Jr. Who: Thanks for the texture. I'll use it for future renders/snapshots.

gster123: Yea, the grass is pretty lame. It's just to help me with the visual. I'll try out the grass texture that Jr. Who posted. In the end, I hope to use the grass paint brushes to create geometry. I'll have to put all the landscaping in different layers because of the huge polycounts. The last house I modeled is 40,000 polys so far but after adding flowers and bushes it can shoot up to 1 million polys real quick.

In fact, to keep poly count from getting too high, I'm not adding alot of detail. In the end, depending on where the camera locations will be, I may replace some geo with higher detailed geo for anything close to the camera.

I also learned (the hard way) that because I'm modeling each house in a different file, I can't name items the same because then I can't import because of same name violations. I spent 2 hours renaming everything for House#3. I'll have to go rename everything for House#1 and 2 next (not looking forward to it).

Exceed Expectations!