Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 03-09-2009 , 11:19 PM
The Nurb Herd
errr... relax fusedgore

i just meant the head. I start with a single poly and extrude, I wouldn't box model it.
I agree with steve's disagreement too - retopologising isn't reshaping the model, for me its reworking edge flow.

(would you still like to see a human body i've done?)

# 17 04-09-2009 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
Relax ? I am relaxed .And yesi would like to see a human you have done with box modeling the body .

# 18 04-09-2009 , 12:51 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
<----Patchmodeler
for the body I use Cylinders to block out the mesh to get an idea of volume and then, I take a box and go from there user added image

# 19 04-09-2009 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
fusedgore can i see a wireframe of that model?

# 20 04-09-2009 , 11:27 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by fusedgore
Relax ? I am relaxed .And yesi would like to see a human you have done with box modeling the body .

I never said i use a box to model the torso! i said i use single poly to model the head.

I'll post some stuff i'm working on when i get home....

btw, you seem a bit worked up about this, i think you misunderstood what i intially disagreed with, and why.

# 21 05-09-2009 , 03:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ColdWave
Well what i read so far is that you all use Cubes, Cylinders to model ?

Am I the only one who are using only plane ?
I start from plane and go for the model... it's really easy !

I really find hard to model a head using a box and looping it ...
Or to make leg with looping cylinder ...

But that's just me user added image

i use the same technique too, it gives you greater controle,

but the other techniques are good aswell

# 22 05-09-2009 , 04:37 PM
Technical Director
Ok, let's keep this to dandexter's model.

It looks ok. The top of the rib cage is very sharp though. It's a good idea to make the edges flow with the shape of the body. For example, make the edges flow from the sides of the rib cage, flowing up the stomach area, then between the breasts. Taking a look at muscle anatomy, as well as skeletons will greatly help you.

What I would HIGHLY recommend, would be to find some images on the internet, that shows muscles, forms, and other anatomy. Good ones are artistic nudes, or nude gymnastics. Practice drawing edge flow on these images. Follow the forms, the bumps, the curves. Don't worry about how you'll make it work. Just follow them with lines.

Once you are done, try and connect those lines into logical ways. Use these images as your base for your topology. It doesn't really matter how you start your model, as long as it looks good. It's all personal preference, and you need to find the way that works for you. For me, it's all box modeling. For others, it's patch modeling. It doesn't matter. That's the great thing about organic modeling, and 3d in general. It's completely free! Just do what you like, and what you find is fun!

I would also recommend not smoothing your model until you can see the shapes in the low poly version. It will help. Not sure why, it just does :p

Keep going mate!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 23 05-09-2009 , 04:39 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Originally posted by hammer.horror
I never said i use a box to model the torso! i said i use single poly to model the head.

I'll post some stuff i'm working on when i get home....

btw, you seem a bit worked up about this, i think you misunderstood what i intially disagreed with, and why.

A single poly? talk about low res

# 24 05-09-2009 , 04:44 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by mastone
A single poly? talk about low res

hehe user added image

# 25 05-09-2009 , 09:30 PM
Technical Director
Guys, please. If you want to continue this conversation, please make another thread about it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.