Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-01-2014 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber

tricky extrusion, advice really needed

hello all,

I'm modeling what I now realise is a bugger of a cast shape and modeling isnt my strong point - I've been advised to start with a cylinder then extrude out at the sides, but it's not so simple, as you can see below. I tried cutting across the faces to make the shape i need to extrude out, but this has left me with triangles, and I'm not sure this is the right way to go about this - any ideas or tips would be so appreciated, the more I look at the model the trickier it gets,

thanks
Nicky

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 11-01-2014 , 12:21 PM
Lifetime Member
I would create 5 blockouts for that shape. Try to get the edge loops close to the adjacent geo. As it is you have way too much geo at this stage...Im pretty damn good at curves and the workflow involves very rough blockouts. Keep subdivisions to a minimum...you will add and delete a LOT of edges to get it right. I forgo primitives now and start with a simple poly plane and go from there, trust me when you learn this it will become a lot easier. If you need a quick hand post the ref images here and I will do a basic blockout to show you what I mean.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 11-01-2014 , 12:50 PM
Subscriber
Hi Bullet, that would be really great - thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 11-01-2014 , 01:45 PM
Lifetime Member
I will look at it soon mate...and for goodness sake get with the rest of planet earth...METRIC!!!!! LOL

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 11-01-2014 , 03:05 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok mate...its been 44°c here...Im a shot bird. Here is what I did in 30 mins or less...BLOCKOUTS!. Use create polygon tool etc etc. Much easier than trying with primitives on complex curves etc. I add...subtract time after time...add edge loops that line up with separate geo...etc. I extrude edges a lot, not faces etc. I then attach and delete inside faces...you will get the picture user added image. I ave left verts unattached etc...have a look and see if you can work it out. Im off

cheers bullet

Attached Files
File Type: zip nickynacky.zip (16.4 KB, 201 views)

bullet1968

# 6 11-01-2014 , 03:41 PM
Subscriber
that is really helpful, especially to see the geometry and the edge loops - thank you!

# 7 12-01-2014 , 04:06 AM
Lifetime Member
No worries mate, sorry I couldnt do anymore but I was tired. Hopefully it has given you a different approach to difficult shapes.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 8 13-01-2014 , 04:57 AM
Lifetime Member
You can create curves (nurbs) and extract a poly edge along the path too, I just prefer doing it the way I have to keep control of it all user added image

bullet1968