Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 31-03-2008 , 03:41 AM
Thanks Arran,

I'll have a look at the shoulders, and the neck, now its in Z its a bit easier to make more "sweeping" changes, just need to keep an eye on the topology as I plan on animating it.

I'm not too happy with the ribs and body area , that needs work definatly, but i'll get onto it. Just working my way round the body.

Ive adjusted how the rear legs connect and will post it up soon when ive got a bit more done.

Its good fun and a nice bit of a challenge what with actual lions being covered with fur! Looking forward to starting adding fur and skinning it, as I say I might give the muscle system in Extension 1/2 a go too, want to make it a nice portfolio piece.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 32 10-04-2008 , 09:29 AM
Subscriber
jup agree this is starting to look good, keep up the good work (Y)

# 33 24-06-2008 , 05:56 PM
Well, had a bit of time, so thought I would get this going again as a bit of a realxing project, so UV'd and strted to lay down a colour map for the Lion.

Just applied the "base coat" and started on the colour variations, This will be the "tip" colour of the fur, i'll make a base colour map for the fur then have fun seeing about differeng fur legnths and directions!

Still a lot to do on this (differing fur colours etc), when its done i'll have a look in maya and possibly adjust the overall look in photoshop.

Attached Thumbnails

# 34 24-06-2008 , 06:01 PM
looking good mate - and it's nice to see you working on this again. user added image

# 35 24-06-2008 , 06:03 PM
Subscriber
UV map looks good, I SUCK:headbang: at uving lol... do u got anytips on how u did it? because im still stuck on my raptor UVs and i really wanna get that going, but i dont want to skip out and make it cheaper, u know?

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 36 24-06-2008 , 06:13 PM
Yeah use headus! LOL!

I used it for the main unwrap, then took it into maya to map the parts that gave me problems in headus, the head and feet. I could have done it in maya but thought I would give it a go.

If I would have used maya I would have cut the legs, tail and head off and used a cylinder map on the body, legs tail etc and the unfold options.

Just cut your model into parts and then go from there, when your starting off just break it into more parts than you might need just to make it easier on yourself, once there all mapped then join them together to make a larger single map.

Cheers Arran, I want to get this completed at some point!

# 37 24-06-2008 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
this is looking real good mate..

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 38 24-06-2008 , 09:40 PM
Cheers Man

Bit of an update, think that this will do for the "main" colour map, off to base fur colour now, then baldness, legnth, normal, specular, and probably many more!

Again probably will give it a touch up in PS

Attached Thumbnails

# 39 26-06-2008 , 08:49 PM
I think the dent at the top of the hind leg is too big.

But the rest looks great!
:bow:

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 40 27-06-2008 , 01:12 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
yeah, it looks to big compared to the othe muscle definition

looking good though

# 41 28-06-2008 , 01:55 PM
Cheers guys,

Matches the ref's I've got, but i'll have a look before going back to maya for the rest of it, just to make sure.

# 42 29-06-2008 , 12:25 PM
Subscriber
if you modeled this couple months back(i think it was or alot longer), you could have contended in the CGSoeity Comp :p

looks great steve... cant wait to see how the fur turns out user added image