Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 18-05-2004 , 08:29 AM
Lifetime Member

# 32 18-05-2004 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
the hair/fur is REALLY good, regarding the beak being stuck on, is the beak a separate piece from the head or is it all one head. if it isn't try and extrude faces from the head to create a more smooth surface into the beak - might make it look less 'stuck on'

cheers

Rich
# 33 18-05-2004 , 07:39 PM
oh, I see what you mean now. I'll work on the beak to make it point down more. It is a separate piece of geometry, but I'm using NURBS not polys, so I don't extrude things out of my surfaces. I kinda wanted it to be big like that because I thought it would give him a more cartoony feel. Which leads me to the other part, the eyes. Well, the eyes can't be on the sides and inside the head for the same reason, it's a cartoon, not a real parrot. Since the beak is rigid, the eyes are pretty much the only was he has to show emotion; I have trouble imagining how to do that with the eyes on the sides like a real parrot (parrots are pretty inexpressive, aren't they? :p ). I was even thinking about giving him floating eye brows.

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 34 18-05-2004 , 08:09 PM
Lifetime Member
Actually your right, ignore me. user added image
I was thinking of a real parrot rather than a cartoon parrot.

Mark user added image

# 35 18-05-2004 , 08:22 PM
:p

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

# 36 18-05-2004 , 09:00 PM
Lifetime Member
But then again, now I think of it, I was right. user added image
Have you seen Ice Age? That is a cartoon but the characters are very closly based on real life. Just a thought...

Keep up the great work though. I'll keep quite now. user added image

Mark user added image

# 37 19-05-2004 , 12:12 AM
Yeah, but those characters were actual animals, this one is a humanoid. Plus, Ice Age was made by pros, I'm a mere wannabe.

Don't be quiet though (I assume you mispelled "quite" and meant to say "quiet"); all sugestions are good.

# 38 25-05-2004 , 07:33 AM
Just an idea - you may want to check out some paint effects feathers...maybe just a few for a tail or something. Pretty simple, quick and effective!

# 39 25-05-2004 , 07:54 AM

Originally posted by karen
Just an idea - you may want to check out some paint effects feathers...maybe just a few for a tail or something. Pretty simple, quick and effective!

I was going to create tail feathers with geometry and then use transparency maps. I'll take a look at PaintFx, but I've never used it before, and I don't think I have enough time left to learn how to use that. Unless you know of a tutorial for feathers using paintFX.

# 40 25-05-2004 , 07:59 AM
Here's the pirate dressed. I'm not done yet, I still have to do something about the neck. I tried using Maya Cloth for the striped shirt, but I couldn't get it to work right, so I just modeled it myself, I'll learn cloth some other time....
About the beak, I tried reshaping it so it would be curved down a bit more, but I didn't liked it so I kept it the way it was.

Attached Thumbnails