Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-09-2004 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber

Animating Hair

I have a hair mesh that I imported into Maya using the Trinity for Maya plugin, and I want to animate it blowing in the wind.

I have heard that this can be accomplished using Soft Body dynamice, but I don't have a clue how to do it.

I am using Maya 5 Complete, so I don't have access to the Fur module or the new Hair module.

Are there any tutorials about that can help me with this? I know I could use PaintFX, but I would rather use the premodelled mesh if possible.

Are there any other ways I could possibly do this?

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 2 02-09-2004 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber
The Hair geo. is it strips ? or are they supost to be the individual strands ?

# 3 02-09-2004 , 06:12 PM
Subscriber
*Edited to correct a major mistake *

Actually, looking at it again, it seems that modelled in strips of geometry, with one strip representing a group of strands.

The geometry is the Sassy Hair 2 from DAZ3D, imported into Maya using the Trinity for Maya plugin.

Looking at the mesh, it would take AGES to seperate the strands.

What would be the easiest way to animate this?

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805

Last edited by kennez; 02-09-2004 at 06:44 PM.
# 4 20-09-2004 , 12:18 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.