Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-11-2011 , 04:41 AM
Perennial Noob

Testing a dragon wing

My project has dragon-style wings. I want to focus on the wings alone without having to deal with any distractions (I seem to go off on tangents easily) so I deleted the rest of the model and saved as wing_test.

I am planning to use soft bodies and gravity to make the wing membrane flop around. Is there a way to keep the wing from falling to the floor when I turn on the gravity? Would I have to build an armature to attatch it to? Is there a better way to animate a dragon wing?

# 2 15-11-2011 , 05:28 AM
Technical Director
This is quite a complex question; as any solution will require a lot of work for a truly automated system. Take a look into nCloth. You can paint the stiffness of the wings, as well as other properties.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 17-11-2011 , 05:11 AM
Perennial Noob
Yeah, I wish I could use nCloth. I only have Maya 6 Unl.

# 4 23-11-2011 , 04:35 AM
Perennial Noob

Idea

Could I separate the wing "fingers" from the membrane and turn the membrane into a cloth object and attach it to the fingers? Any good toots on how to do this with Cloth?

I have thought about manually adjusting the verts in the membrane in the folded state and adding attributes just to get the project done. (that's a lot of adjusting, though)