Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-07-2013 , 09:53 AM

How to loft properly?

I tried to create a low polygon objects but I really don't know how to loft them properly.
I was hope to get seamless edge look likes in (B) picture but all I get is (A).user added image
They look likes they are separate piece.

All I know the only way to get smooth seamless like that is to loft all curves at once and it's not what I wanted because they need to have gaps between them, If someone could help me I would really appreciate.

user added image

# 2 01-07-2013 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber

Lofting

First you need to check and make sure your curves have the same amount of knots or curve points.

Prior to lofing under the Loft options click on polygon, and cubic, use sections set at 1, you can change this later. I have attached a jpg of the settings

https://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9661/pcom.jpg

The next thing is when you have done your loft you can click on the object and in Channel Box the attributes of that object you should see Inputs.

Here will be nurbsTessellate1, you can now control how many UV's you want.

This will give you better control over your testelation over your final object prior to needing to smooth the object.
Also smooth on render is far better than using the smooth option. You can access this under the objects Render attibutes.

# 3 01-07-2013 , 01:43 PM
The best approach is

1. Create a curve
2. Duplicate that curve, move and reshape it (do not add or remove cv's it is very important that all curve have the same number of, or even multiples of, segments - ie 2 to 2, 2 to 4, etc but this is getting into advanced stuff and you will then have to think about parameterization)
3. repeat step 2 as many times as needed
4. select the curves IN-ORDER
5. Loft

Alternatively, you can create all the curves, then rebuild them all to have the same number of segments and then goto step 4 above.

Maya's NURB's tools are very primitive and have not been updated for far too long unfortunately.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-07-2013 at 01:48 PM.