Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-07-2012 , 10:28 AM

Egyption Slaves VFX shot

Hi,

I have been asked to make a shot of Egyption slaves working on a pyramid. I have modelled up the pyramid itself but am now trying to work out how to put thousands of characters onto it.

The shot needs to be as photorealistic as possible as it is going to be put into a short film.

Are there any tutorials out there on how to do this or has anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance.

# 2 24-07-2012 , 11:29 AM
The Nurb Herd
hmm, crowd sims are pretty tricky i think.
Are you limited to maya? how close to camera are the slaves?

# 3 25-07-2012 , 08:57 AM

hmm, crowd sims are pretty tricky i think.
Are you limited to maya? how close to camera are the slaves?

I am limited to Maya and after effects. The slaves are quite a way off in the distance so no great detail would be required.

# 4 28-07-2012 , 02:30 PM
for simple spreading objects on a mesh you can use paint polygon tool.

# 5 28-07-2012 , 03:52 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
If you want an honest answer, I don't think you can, not because you miss the talent, but just for the simple fact that as Honest says crowd sims are tricky and most of the time there is a team working on it.
You could download a trial of softimage since I believe there is a crowd sim ICE thing in there...I do know there aren't quick fixes available.