Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-05-2012 , 04:02 AM

Uv Mapping Confusion

I have become entirely confused with the texturing within maya, for more complicated models. Cubes make sense, but other than that i don't get how it's done. If you had a model with more that 40 polygons, and you looked at it in the uv texture editor, it's all fluffed up, and i have no idea how to un-fluff it... I've seen people do it, and even when done i don't understand how it is that they can look at it and say "Oh, that's definitely the bottom of the ear lobe, can't you tell?" because it still, even un-fluffed, lookes like a bunch of incoherent lines in a less than coherent shape.

Could anybody explain this in simple terms, or direct me to a video in which it's done?

Thanks!

P.s. "This has been asked before, noob!" Yeah, i'm tired, and you're not helpful.

# 2 28-05-2012 , 05:13 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 28-05-2012 at 05:17 AM.