Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 05-02-2004 , 01:12 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by roach105
It has gone crazy now with hundreads of post everyday. I wish I can help out a bit more but there is just to many posts to keep up with.

good point.

# 17 05-02-2004 , 01:13 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by mtmckinley
yeah, as communities grow, these things happen. Be thankful it's not like SOME message board where you're lucky to get any response at all. I just took a glance through the WIP boards, and the vast majority have at least a couple responses. Not too shabby. user added image

good point again user added image

# 18 05-02-2004 , 01:26 PM
I hope that I havent been responsible for any of the "rudeness" in the WIP. I know I have started to be harsher in my crits but that's only cause I'm getting sick and tired of reading "nice work" "great work" etc I just find it boring to read that and it's almost made me leave this forum a few times when it got bad. BUt I'm sticking with it and with a new harsh but fair attitude. And to be honest it's working weel check fire_Master's current WIP. I told him exactly what I thought about it but showed him how to go forwards (after a couple of "nice work" posts). I think it would be really cool if people did start to be more honest in their crits. Fire_Master too the comments on board and has alread made an improvment in the new model he's creating. I'd be happy to help out on the WIP forum, I'm here most of the damn time anyways user added image

As for the newbie forum, i think it serves a great purpose and I've seen some people really going out of their way to help (especially Mike!!) and that's fantastic stuff. I havent seen people being overtly rude at all. You do get a lot of the same questions over and over but it's ok we've all been there, maybe a noobie FAQ would be a good thing to add as a sticky, then noobs can be gently pushed (shoved user added image) in that direction when they ask "how do I render in wireframe?" user added image)

It's a great site, with great mods and a good atmosphere rock on SM user added image

Alan

Ps. the new colour scheme is much easier on the eye = better when in dark rooms with a big monitor in front of you user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

Last edited by Alan; 05-02-2004 at 01:29 PM.
# 19 05-02-2004 , 01:29 PM

Re: The Good Ole Simply Maya

Originally posted by I-Iybrid
Now, some people are kind of rude,

I hope i don't fall into this category as i have been on best behaviour of new.

Regards
Smiling Rossland

user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image

I Promise To miss behave - I Promise To miss behave - I Promise To miss behave - I Promise To miss behave
# 20 05-02-2004 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber

If it continues to go downhill then the wips forum will be removed

Please don't get rid of the WIP section it's one of the best parts of SM.

K-Man's poll (I'm good at them user added image) showed us that there is a large part of SM made up of Newbie's so as Alan said we will get a lot of the same questions asked and the "nice work" "great work" statements. This monotonous I agree with Alan, you should be constructive in your critisms of people's work to help them get better if they are producing low-par stuff. The harsh but fair attitude/cruel to be kind approach should be the dictim.

I would suggest breaking the WIP into two sections something like Beginners and Advanced - like the competitions. Those titles are ambiguous and open to suggestions btw. This would also make it easier to moderate. I'd be happy to help with this even if I am split between two programs - after all I was here from the start, an ex-mod and I'm polite (unlike Kevin) user added image

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 21 05-02-2004 , 10:32 PM
theres a good chance when you come on sm that im logged in and hereuser added image, freaky huh?

I hope the wip section stays, its probably my favourite not counting newbie section.

# 22 06-02-2004 , 01:01 AM

Originally posted by gazzamataz
I would suggest breaking the WIP into two sections something like Beginners and Advanced

I second that idea. Certainly would make things easier.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 23 06-02-2004 , 02:20 AM
But that would also bring problems of people not knowing where to post. Then newer people posting mediocre art in the advances section and getting harassed or insulted by having to goto the newbie section. Aswell as newbies being insulted when advanced users post in the newbie section showing how much better they are.

The best thing about the current wip section is you see EVERYONES work. Experienced and newbie. Which is great, newer people can be inspired by the experienced people, and learn from them, and even some of the experienced people might learn something from the newbies.

# 24 06-02-2004 , 02:51 AM
The Maya Mountain
I disagree with splitting WIPs. It's bad enough we judge the challenges on two categories (something Id like to merge into just one category).

# 25 06-02-2004 , 03:25 AM
Subscriber
I agree with mike. If ever it should be split, in my opinion it should be in to a show off thread, and a WIP for serious critiques.

# 26 06-02-2004 , 03:54 AM
Simply Maya OG
Splitting up the WIP forums would cause even more caos, thats not needed here. It would just give Kevin and Dave more to worry about. Like Twisted said, keeping them together lets everyone see everyone elses work, without trying to find things.

- Hybrid
# 27 06-02-2004 , 05:24 AM
Thanks hybrid. I was beginning to wonder if anyone even read my post. lol.

# 28 06-02-2004 , 06:03 AM
Subscriber
twisteddragon ,,, YOU ROCK TOO hehe

# 29 06-02-2004 , 02:27 PM
Just a little update.... very shortly after my post about the emial notices being out of wack and stuff my email notices started coming ontime and in the right order... go figure....LOL

My offer to volunteer still stands though.

"Si vis pacem para bellum" if you desire peace, prepare for war.
# 30 06-02-2004 , 07:28 PM
YEAH R-TILLERY!!!

sometimes even if those posts have 1, 2 replies most of them are just mainlinex saying "Great work", look in the wip section to see what i mean.