Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 07-03-2004 , 10:49 PM
ok i have two problems but i'll post my other one later.. right now i'm concerned about getting the shaft (or hole) in the barrel.. i've tried using booleans but it cuases the barrel and the thing i'm trying to subtract to both dissipear.. any help would be greatly appreciated

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 17 07-03-2004 , 11:04 PM
ok, i did it i just extruded inwards.. i hate booleans, but heres the update

now i gotta think of a way to attach the barrel to the turret/cockput thing.. sorry, i dont know any tank terminology

Attached Thumbnails

# 18 07-03-2004 , 11:54 PM
The Maya Mountain
You don't necessarily have to attach it. Jamming it through works. user added image You could probably reduce the subdivisions of the barrel's length.

# 19 08-03-2004 , 12:28 AM
lol.. nicely put with the jamming it through.. made me chuckle.. and i'll see about lowering the subdivision count on the barrel i noticed that to but was to converned with actually getting it to look attached

# 20 08-03-2004 , 12:39 AM
Subscriber
I must say... I laughed out loud at hearing "jamming it through".... lol Couldn't have said it any better Mike. user added image

# 21 08-03-2004 , 12:54 AM

Help

alright i got an idea of how i want to attach it.. problem is i dont know how to take "notches" out of geometry without the use off booleans which i'd like to stay away from cuase i hear there screw things up.. but i made a concept sketch of what i mean

Attached Images

# 22 08-03-2004 , 12:55 AM
i'm pretty close to finishing the actual model.. then its time to texture.. which i've never really gotten into so that should be a whole new experiance

# 23 08-03-2004 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber
I would have done an animated gif, but this was quicker. You could use split polygon tool also with magnets, but if you do, remember to split in the middle first.
Small video.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 24 08-03-2004 , 02:53 AM

THANK!

Thanks that did the trick.. heres my latest update

Attached Thumbnails

# 25 08-03-2004 , 06:18 AM
very sexy tank partner, can't wait to see the finished model textured, possibly even animated user added image........

I Can't Understand What I'm Thinking
# 26 09-03-2004 , 02:51 AM
well.. i've never textured before.. so you may have to wait a bit.. if anyone can tell me where to start or point me in the direction of some good texturing tuts. i'd appreciate very much... thanks in advance... this tank is designed to knock of socks of any college i send my demo reels to

# 27 09-03-2004 , 02:59 AM

Not Textured

yeah i know this doesnt count.. but i decided to take a break and try to make a decent wallpaper out of it.. seeing as how this is one of my first finished projects and all.. but this will probly be how its going to stay until i learn more about texturing...

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 09-03-2004 , 07:08 AM
don't use a maya lens flare user added image, people in the industry hate to see those default maya effects. The opti effects that is.

# 29 09-03-2004 , 09:52 AM
lens flare = bad/cheesy/pointless user added image JFlores is right. Might be worth thinking about a better lighting rig when you come to texturing so that you can properly see the results of what you are doing. Take a look at the tank in my sig, I did one a month or so ago.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 30 09-03-2004 , 05:04 PM
i was just bored.. actually its a photoshop lens flair... but yeah.. this is a crappy pic i wouldnt use it for anything less then a desktop wallpaper..