Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 18-05-2004 , 08:29 AM
Lifetime Member

# 32 18-05-2004 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
the hair/fur is REALLY good, regarding the beak being stuck on, is the beak a separate piece from the head or is it all one head. if it isn't try and extrude faces from the head to create a more smooth surface into the beak - might make it look less 'stuck on'

cheers

Rich
# 33 18-05-2004 , 07:39 PM
oh, I see what you mean now. I'll work on the beak to make it point down more. It is a separate piece of geometry, but I'm using NURBS not polys, so I don't extrude things out of my surfaces. I kinda wanted it to be big like that because I thought it would give him a more cartoony feel. Which leads me to the other part, the eyes. Well, the eyes can't be on the sides and inside the head for the same reason, it's a cartoon, not a real parrot. Since the beak is rigid, the eyes are pretty much the only was he has to show emotion; I have trouble imagining how to do that with the eyes on the sides like a real parrot (parrots are pretty inexpressive, aren't they? :p ). I was even thinking about giving him floating eye brows.

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 34 18-05-2004 , 08:09 PM
Lifetime Member
Actually your right, ignore me. user added image
I was thinking of a real parrot rather than a cartoon parrot.

Mark user added image

# 35 18-05-2004 , 08:22 PM
:p

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

# 36 18-05-2004 , 09:00 PM
Lifetime Member
But then again, now I think of it, I was right. user added image
Have you seen Ice Age? That is a cartoon but the characters are very closly based on real life. Just a thought...

Keep up the great work though. I'll keep quite now. user added image

Mark user added image

# 37 19-05-2004 , 12:12 AM
Yeah, but those characters were actual animals, this one is a humanoid. Plus, Ice Age was made by pros, I'm a mere wannabe.

Don't be quiet though (I assume you mispelled "quite" and meant to say "quiet"); all sugestions are good.

# 38 25-05-2004 , 07:33 AM
Just an idea - you may want to check out some paint effects feathers...maybe just a few for a tail or something. Pretty simple, quick and effective!

# 39 25-05-2004 , 07:54 AM

Originally posted by karen
Just an idea - you may want to check out some paint effects feathers...maybe just a few for a tail or something. Pretty simple, quick and effective!

I was going to create tail feathers with geometry and then use transparency maps. I'll take a look at PaintFx, but I've never used it before, and I don't think I have enough time left to learn how to use that. Unless you know of a tutorial for feathers using paintFX.

# 40 25-05-2004 , 07:59 AM
Here's the pirate dressed. I'm not done yet, I still have to do something about the neck. I tried using Maya Cloth for the striped shirt, but I couldn't get it to work right, so I just modeled it myself, I'll learn cloth some other time....
About the beak, I tried reshaping it so it would be curved down a bit more, but I didn't liked it so I kept it the way it was.

Attached Thumbnails