Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-06-2004 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber

Candle flame.

Hi again,

OK I am looking at making a candle flame to put on the table in that Graveyard scene I did (It's in the WIP Forum)
So it's not a close up and does not need to be animated (Animated flames are all I can find on net)
I was wondering if I just made the shape of a flame in Nurbs say from a streched sphere, and applied a "ramp shader" [Somehow??] to make it look like the different shades on a flame? is this how it's done?

BTW - I looked for a shader someone may have already done on another 3D site, but only found 'fire' shaders. not really a candle - so that's why I thought the 'ramp' may work if set right...?

Any Ideas ?
Regards Scraggy

# 2 07-07-2004 , 03:58 AM

Very simple approach

Hi there Scraggy.

I know you have posted it long ago, and I imagine you have already figured out some way to do this candle.

I only wanted to show an idea i had long ago too when I was dealing with Maya for the first months and I wanted to model a flame of a candle. I didn't know nothing about dynamics effects or particles, so I did what came to my mind at that time.

For the flame, I used 3 polygon spheres with lambert materials each one setted with different colours: Blue, orange and yellow. The yellow one was streched (its geometry) to look like the shape of a candle flame. Then I applied a glow effect with hidden source on every material and positioned the spheres in an appropriate manner.

I think it was very simple, since it was not convincing as a real flame, and since it wasn't animated with dynamics. But I think just looked nice.

Well, hope this simple idea can be useful someway...

See ya.

:bgreen:

Last edited by said; 07-07-2004 at 04:06 AM.
# 3 07-07-2004 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
Thankyou very much, yours has been the first post since I asked the question. And I have just left the project until I came up with an answer - so the 'scene' is judt 'shelved' at the moment - Thanks a lot I will have a go at that - or maybe I will use Nurbs and apply the same idea... (I already have the shape done in Nurbs using deformers - but cannot find a "shader" that looked anything like a candle flame - just more like Fire.

Thanks Scraggy

# 4 07-07-2004 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
Looks like all the dates on the Posts are screwed up a tad!!!!

Dunno about you guy's in the rest of the world but it's July the 7th here user added image Just noticed......

# 5 07-07-2004 , 05:55 PM
Subscriber
why not put something to illuminate the scene as a candle would and then do post production in PS to put the flame over the candle.

# 6 07-07-2004 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
Hmmm Mantat - Photoshop - Make a sort of "light ball?" would not have a clue where to start - am Noob

Sounds good, but have no idea how to do it .

Thanks Scraggy