Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-09-2004 , 10:41 PM
Subscriber

Wireframe on shaded

how do i render a model so it looks like its been shaded but has the wireframe on it as well using the maya software renderer?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 17-09-2004 , 10:56 PM
My idea would be to do it in post editing, with a rendered view and over that a screenshot (with transparancy), but I'm not sure how to do it with just maya... you should have to do it in a texture then.... user added image

# 3 18-09-2004 , 02:09 AM
Subscriber
Theres a couple of ways to go about it. You can do this with the hardware render, and still get AA. Light afects are more limeted though. Or you can use the UV snapshot with AA on it, as a texture. < old school. There are also some ways to get it with the vector render though I haven't done that my self yet.

# 4 20-09-2004 , 08:31 AM
vector render gave me the best results for this, the problem is occluding the hidden wireframe mesh. Another way to do it is to:

make your model have a constant balck shader on it. Turn on shaded wireframe mode, change your viewport colour to black, turn on smooth wireframe, then select all of your model (so that your wireframe turns white) and then playblast at the highest res you can, downsize the playblast in photoshop to the size you want to "tighten" the image up.

That's how I did all of the wireframes for the Thunderbirds companion book.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 20-09-2004 , 08:38 AM
Subscriber
Hardware render does have some AA funtion with it. It jitters the same frame a couple of times and interaly composites it. Works ok.