Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-11-2002 , 12:15 AM

NURBS OR POLYGONS

Up to this point I've been playing around with polygons. I havent used NURBS. Are there any advantages for using either? Is there a difference to the beggining user?

the day we stop thinking is the day we start sinking
# 2 28-11-2002 , 12:18 AM
Kevin
generally people sometimes find polys a little easier to start with...

maybe hang out with these till you have a better understanding, then play with nurbs.. then again, no reason why you cant have a go now mate

# 3 28-11-2002 , 01:08 AM
is one nessasarily better than the other?

# 4 28-11-2002 , 01:52 AM
Kevin
no ... well I dont thik so, obviously you will get some guys who blow there tops if you model anything organic with standard polys...but if its good... who cares right?

I have seen fantastic work in both... and now we have the sub divs to... this is nice for organic modeling, I tend to mix it up a little, always converting from one to the other as I go

# 5 28-11-2002 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Kevin
I tend to mix it up a little, always converting from one to the other as I go

LOL--- its totally confusing... i will narrow it down a bit more so that you can understand....

Polygons are best for building buildings, and other such objects such as ... hmmm... monitors,,, etc etc...

Nurbs are best for orgranic modelling(characters, animals), cars, an iMac, a mouse etc etc....

Sub-ds are the best(i think) for organic modelling and smooth objects, such as humans, animals, etc etc....

# 6 28-11-2002 , 08:31 AM

Sub-d the best

Hi

In my opinion Sub-d is the best for modelling.... because is like a combination between Nurbs and Poly...user added image

Steffan

# 7 28-11-2002 , 08:51 AM
I've recently started the much advertised nurbs -> polys -> subd approach for anything organic modeling. Works great.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 8 28-11-2002 , 11:54 AM
Supreme Being
you'll hear alot of opinions about this.. but it's all up to you.. you should try out all of them and see what comes more "natural" to you.. work with that.. but don't discard the rest..

i usually use poly and abit of nurbs.. don't use subds that much cause my pc starts to frick out.. :p

# 9 28-11-2002 , 03:43 PM
so then are NURBS better for modeling characters in general?

# 10 28-11-2002 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
try not to think of it as better or worse. instead, try and realize the truth... There is no spoon!...i mean... they are both tools that comes to the same point. it all depends on how you want to approach your modelling. I, for instance, prefer poly modelling with a simulated sub division shell script and a mirror copy to complete the model. very effective. and not hard to do.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 11 28-11-2002 , 05:22 PM
so in other words figure it out for yourself.

# 12 28-11-2002 , 09:22 PM
The Maya Mountain
it's all a matter of preference... personally, I use polys for almost everything, organic or not.

# 13 29-11-2002 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber
polys are easy and they do give sometimes a very impressive result.... nurbs are a bit more complex but they are good too.... i use nurbs for modelling cloth, for ex.. a bedsheet... just create the curves and loft em(which takes hours on polys).... and other stuff like a house etc..... for character modelling i use sub-ds....
it actually depends on what you are modelling.... well, everyone might not agree with me on that... but most of the time i use polys.

# 14 04-12-2002 , 02:15 AM
One of the main advantages of NURBS is that they are teselated(transformed into polygons) at rendering time, according to camera distance. That means that if the model is further away form the camera it will have less poly count and therefore will be faster to render. In a close up on the other hand it will have all the detail you need.
With polys it is always the same no matter the distance from the camera.
I have seen some excelent models of say cars and planes with polygons but the poly count is amzingly high.
But of course all three methods have their advantages.

# 15 04-12-2002 , 02:27 AM
thanks for the feedback, although I now have more questions because of this thread than when I started eg. camera distance, rendering, modelling cloth...