Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-05-2007 , 09:40 AM
Subscriber

WoW character - texture/model project

hey guys!

my current project as a maya noobie, is making a character based on the world of warcraft models. i like them simply because they are not very detailed model wise but the textures are really well done.

im attempting to make a simple model of a dude, and texture it to make it look awesome. Im a beginner so i you notice anything or have any helpful advice or tuts you know i would be really grateful.

here is the model. i plan to texture with bodypaint.
user added image

ok.... to texture map....

i dont really know how to START mapping, hehe....

how do i make it so everything i PAINT on one side will duplicate to the other side?

# 2 10-05-2007 , 03:50 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I'm not a texture expert, but i think you should make the left and right -side a little bit different not exact copies.
If you really want to mirror it there should be a mirror brush option somewhere in maya it is by pressing u this will get a hotbox tab and you could select it.
You can also open the toolbox window in which every parameter is listed.

so good luck with your painting endeavoursuser added image

# 3 10-05-2007 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber
uum, ok heres a doosie:

what are bump maps, diffuse maps and specular maps, what are they for, and how do i make / use them??

# 4 11-05-2007 , 04:57 AM
Well the difference between your and their work is that you are doing a high poly model.

And I dont really know what you are aiming at here, do you want to create a character looking like the wow chars or do you want to create them like they do?

An example of a wow wire

user added image

# 5 11-05-2007 , 10:17 AM
Subscriber
i know thiers is low poly and mine is very high. the project is TEXTURE based, to see that if textures make thier low poly models really great, then i want to see how much i can improve my model with good texturing...

anyone know a good way to UV map, or can point me to a tut??

# 6 17-05-2007 , 04:43 PM
This might have been answered earlier in the thread, but anyways.
Bumps maps *the only thing that I know from that list* are what makes something . . . heh . . . bumpy.
heres an example. just a grey lambert with a bump map *fractal*

EDIT**: You make bump maps just like ordinary textures.
*sigh*
Ordinary tetures are complicated too, though. So... in case your not completely certain, this is what I know.
you can make blinns, lamberts, and all those. layered textures allow you to combine the above. Each seperate thing can have fractals, waves blah blah of different colours.
I have to go now, but later on Ill keep going
bye,
Chris

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by bobalie; 17-05-2007 at 04:47 PM.
# 7 17-05-2007 , 10:36 PM
Good thing to know about bump maps are that White=value1 and Black=value0, so white points out and black are plain. Gray ofcourse got the value0.1-0.9 depending on how bright/dark it is.

# 8 18-05-2007 , 05:18 AM
exactly
thanks, I was sort of rushed when I was writing the above statements, but yeah, thats exactly how it works