Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-06-2007 , 02:11 PM
Subscriber

troubleshooting GI problem

Hi all
am having a bit of parlava with spot light MentalRay attribute i have gone tho all proceedures possible but to no avil. basically i want to generate photons using a spot light however the mental ray control refuse to show in the attribute editor i need some help anyone. i have mentalray active etc . mentalray is sending me mental.....

# 2 18-06-2007 , 01:07 AM
go to the render globals and under the mental ray tab scroll down to gi and caustics and check gi.

# 3 18-06-2007 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber

GI Problem

thanks for the rely YoungLion but ive already done that in the Render globals and notting is still showing in the attribute editor for the spot ligth i am using maya 7 and am thinking could it be my maya version or something is really wrong somewere

# 4 18-06-2007 , 10:53 AM
I cant quire remember off the top of my head but I think that one of the lights you cant get it to emitt photons for GI??

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 18-06-2007 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber

GI Problem

So jester you think i should try use a diff light than the spot light

# 6 18-06-2007 , 11:41 AM
Could do, I think that ther eis one in maya though that cant emitt them, and it could be the spotlight, might be wrong though, give it a go with the area light, jusat convert the spot into an ares (using the dropdown menu in the Attribute editor)

# 7 18-06-2007 , 12:03 PM
no the spot light is ideal for gi, i think you should delete the light and create a new new and see if you get the same error

# 8 18-06-2007 , 12:20 PM
Like I said, ive not had a look, but i'm pretty sure that theres a light that doest support GI, might not be the spot, could be the point light or something.

# 9 18-06-2007 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber
I have tried other lights suprise .... suprise the point light ,area light and directional light does provide mentalray settings . i dont understand so gys if you find a solution to this pls keep me informed

cheers