Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-12-2007 , 12:35 PM

Selecting contiguous edges on subdivs

Is there anything similar to "select contiguous edges" that I can use with subdiv edges? That command seems to only be working on polygons.

Thanks!

# 2 11-12-2007 , 01:01 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Unfortunately there isn't. I use Sub-Ds allot in my work flow, and do dearly wish there was one. I think it's has something to do with the fact that Sub-Ds are based On Bezier mathematics, and how each face is it's own Sub-object governed by the Bezier Mathematics. So in actuality there are no Contiguous edges.

Though, one thing i like to do when modeling is to set up "Quick select Sets" All you will need to do, is select the edge loop, or any selection that you may want to use more than once. Once selected goto.... Create>> Sets>> Quick Select Set. Name it accordingly, and then hit "Add to shelf" Now whenever you Hit the button on your shelf it will select your saved selection. This isn't a replacement, or anything as convenient, as the select edge loop tool, but it can help sometimes.

Hope this helps user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 11-12-2007 , 01:10 PM
Thank you...that's very helpful. I did not know about the Quick Select Sets.

# 4 11-12-2007 , 01:21 PM
No problem user added image

Like i said, I use Sub-Ds allot!!! And I'm always trying to learn small little tips, and trick to help with the work flow.

If you pick up on your way... feel free to share them!

-Mayaniac

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 11-12-2007 , 10:12 PM
Jr.Who
Mayaniac, since you have Maya '08 you don't need Sub-Ds anymore! Just hit 3 on your keyboard when you have a poly selected. Then press the page up and page down keys to get it at the smooth level you like.
user added image

# 6 12-12-2007 , 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Mayaniac, since you have Maya '08 you don't need Sub-Ds anymore! Just hit 3 on your keyboard when you have a poly selected. Then press the page up and page down keys to get it at the smooth level you like.
user added image

Thanks! The Smooth Mesh Preview is a cool new feature, though i still model in the Sub-Ds format from time to time. Just for the crease features, and advanced refining of detail. Also it does wonders for Organic modeling! Plus, You have to apply your Smooth mesh Preview, in order for it to render at your division level. Which can make for a Dense mesh. Though, another cool thing in 08 is you can create smooth sets for Mental Ray! I don't know if this is a new feature, but i didn't know of it before. This allows for your model to be smoothed during Rendering.

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"