Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 11-11-2008 , 11:15 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
no, not yet - i'm planning to get it, i'm just a little miffed by the 14 month license limit.

i guess they expect us to buy 2010 at the end of the period....

steve, i think you'll be the only one with a legit 2009 for a while...

when was it released?

actually looking at it on the autodsk website the upgrade doesn't cost too much

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 11-11-2008 at 11:42 AM.
# 17 11-11-2008 , 07:20 PM
It was released a few weeks ago I think, as I was happy with 2008 I didnt download it form the autodesk subscription center, just waited for the disks to get sent through, which was firday last week.

Edit - Didnt see your post there Jay

Yeah the polar bear was Si's (whos not been here for a while), think that was with the demo of shave, damm fine work that.

Tbh - I dont really use the unlim features, apart from ncloth and fluids as I think theres some bits of research that could be done with them other than what there designed for, then again I dont really use maya most of the time for what it's really intended for! There nice to have but not an essential.

As I said if I didnt have the upgrades I probably would still be on v6 and it wouldnt bother me really, just lucky on that formt really. I dont really use any of the new tools that have come along (other than insert edgeloop and slide edge, which I'm sure theres already scripts for somewhere)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 11-11-2008 at 08:16 PM.
# 18 12-11-2008 , 08:43 AM
Hehe, cheers Jay and Steve
I'm in the land of work (python programming) and expecting our first little one, hence not being around for quite a bit user added image
Hope you guys are doing well.

yeah the polar bear head was with a demo of shave and a haircut using the 15 day demo (got about 7 to 9 days out of it at about 2 to 3 hours usage a day (including rendering time). I really upped the hair quantity (to cover the dark brown bear skin) and didnt learn in time how to thin the ends of each strand to get a realistic finish but it was all good fun user added image

Whats the nparticles system like? I did a traffic simulation plugin for Maya 2008 at the end of last year/beginning of this year but found the old particle system to be quite limited in its capabilities. If its any good and if I can get a student licence of 2009 then it would be tempting to rewrite it using nparticles, compile it and make it available- time depending of course.

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 19 12-11-2008 , 08:48 AM
hey si - good to see you.

congratulations! glad to hear the good news. user added image

# 20 12-11-2008 , 09:25 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Si

You return! Hope you're good sir!

hey congrats on the little dude mate. How long to go? You wait, it'll be the best thing you've ever made LOL, lap it up, its hard work but well worth it. When I see my now 11 year old going off up the road by to catch her school bus, it brings a tear to the eye mate. Its gone so fast!!

anyway python eh!! good luck with all that, I hear its easier than mel is that right?

Jay

# 21 12-11-2008 , 08:39 PM
Hey Si

Nice one to see ya back, congrats on the little one! Well chuffed for ya!

Not too sure about nparticles and the programming of em, there very fast at simulating, superb really!

Where ya workin now doing the programming an all that Jazz?

# 22 12-11-2008 , 10:46 PM
ooh grats on job!

Maya unlim has some use, hair for rigs!
ummm and maya live was ok pre auto-tracking

Maya N-particles are competative vs other systems now, state changes etc, mayas normal particls cant do them without immediate user reworks.

and Fluids rocks socks for clouds, i barely ever touch unlim features.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 23 13-11-2008 , 04:34 AM
Yeah hair is pretty cool for animation

# 24 13-11-2008 , 07:56 AM
cheers guys, its been a while user added image
(hope I'm not thread jacking)

Arran - keep up the good work, I've had a look on the forums every now and again and your work is getting damn good user added image

Jay - I'm doing good thanks, hope you are too user added image
The little one is due the 30th of this month so only about 2 weeks to go! Then it'll be the hard slog of no sleep and dirty nappies but it'll be worth it.
Hehe, I'm right up there with python now but mel still has some nice tricks in expressions etc that its fiddly to do in python. I need to get back into it in maya to be honest.

Steve - cheers user added image You must be well happy to get the very latest versions to play with at uni. Hope they help when it comes to your phd work.
I'm contracting over your neck of the woods working near manchester airport on government and military stuff (flash and python based at the minute but as jobs come in we'll be using different things). Some of the guys here do 3D (3ds max) and I'd like to do some of that too but the programming is the big work at the minute.

cheers LauriePriest user added image

Si

p.s, I can see why Autodesk has limited the student version to 14 months in one way (effectively meaning that they have to rebuy every academic year) but can see that its also counter productive in keeping hobbyists going after uni when they might be doing something completey different but still be interested in 3D.

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 13-11-2008 at 08:00 AM.
# 25 15-11-2008 , 03:21 AM
Sounds good Si!

Glad all's going well for you, sounds fun on the job front and exciting on the family front too!

As for 2009 and research, I doubt that they it will do much for me, i've got a sturdy pipeline in process with scripts etc that fit no probs. Not really fouind the time to have a proper play as yet.

I've got a copy of MB 2009 but not installed that as I'll probbly have to mess about sorting the mocap plug in out for it.

Cheers

Steve