Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 11-12-2011 , 02:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
been watching this small prob unfold. What Dave has shown you is spot on in both accounts...theres no right way essentially for the geo -it just has to work and look like it needs to on the ref...and be kept clean in the long run

going very well...

Jay

# 17 12-12-2011 , 06:12 PM
Acid44
Yup, Dave was certainly on the mark, just gonna take some refining to get it to work with my mesh/at the poly level I need to be at.

Finally looking like I'm getting somewhere, though we all know, looks can be deceiving. Probably won't post an image of this thing again though until it's in game. Thanks Dave

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 12-12-2011 , 06:56 PM
The thin red line
Looking good Acid, Doing that little bit for you was the closest I have been to modelling a car..........LOL.......dave

# 19 12-12-2011 , 07:29 PM
Acid44
Haha, I guess modeling cars isn't as popular as I thought it was then

# 20 16-12-2011 , 07:18 AM
Acid44
How about this? The blueprints aren't helping much, as they don't line up very well, and once again, the curves are killing me.

The circled area keeps coming out generally shitty, along with the back of the car in general. The extruded part with the arrow pointing to it I just can't figure out how to extrude properly

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 16-12-2011 , 08:20 AM
The thin red line
Same again Acid this time bring in a sphere turn it on its side delete the cap then shape that area square.............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 16-12-2011 , 08:49 AM
Acid44
Seems like I should have thought of that, lol

I'm not used to patching things together, so forgive the stupidity, this is just driving me nuts though user added image There's so much more to think about when doing low poly modeling... Move something, something else gets totally warped, fix an areas normal angles, and another area goes to shit... Totally overloading my brain, lol

Thanks again though, Dave. I've got about 44 hours left to finish this, so even though it seems like simple solutions, they're helping a lot