Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 19-08-2012 , 09:01 PM

Why does her pfx hair fly off?

I’ve parented pfxhair to her top head joint, strokes appear to move correctly in maya panel but in mental ray they move a lot further. Hope pic will explain (maya & mental ray shots are there, one above the other)—both images are exactly the same head positioning (got camera wrong). As soon as her head moves… strokes appear to follow as should but in render view they fly off the head.
Any help much appreciated.

user added image

# 2 19-08-2012 , 09:12 PM
The thin red line
Not sure but it looks like you have 2 hair systems there, is that the problem............dave

# 3 19-08-2012 , 10:42 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for replying.
The other 'hair' you see is polygons, I put it there to fill gaps, add colour, give a slightly messy look, and so her hair doesn't look radically different from that of other characters (who only have polygon hair).

There's only one lot of maya hair. (will double-check)

Maybe I've made a basic mistake in parenting? (I really am a complete self-taught newbie). Or... I scaled the hair earlier and since the strokes have a (unknown to me) relationship with the the (now-deleted) control curves that's somehow the cause. Or... (who knows?)

Oh God, I may have to redo all that hair-stroke work yet again (be 4th time now). And what if it still doesn't work?

# 4 20-08-2012 , 10:16 AM
The thin red line
Try parenting to the head mesh not the joint...........dave

Edit:you might still have dynamics "on" for the hair you need to turn that "off"

Last edited by daverave; 20-08-2012 at 10:41 AM.
# 5 21-08-2012 , 04:26 AM
Thanks again, it really does help to feel you're not alone with this stuff. I'm thinking it was probably the scaling... something like, I scaled the pfx hair but not the control strokes or some such. Can't actually be sure, since I can't get the original imported scene to work as it was. I must've done something prior to to import that's different. Anyway, I can see a heap of things wrong with the import below, but hair loss isn't one of them!
Cheers Steve
user added image