Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-02-2014 , 05:18 PM

instancing proxy problem

Hello everybody,

I have a tree with a simple round shape as crown. From that I emitted particles and instanced them with a cube. To the cube I assigned a proxy leaf.
So far so good- there is a tree with leafs after rendering with mental ray.
Then i put the tree, the particle system and the cube in one group and saved the maya ascii file as finaltree.ma.
Now I have a new scene with a large plane and on the there should be a forrest.
I imported the finaltree .ma
as referrence into the new scene.
From the plane I emitted particles and instanced them with the tree.
But after rendering in mental ray- only my referenced tree (the imported one) has leafs and the instanced particles do not have leafs.

I do not know how i can solve the problem. Maybe it is the wrong way at all.

Thank you in advance.

# 2 17-02-2014 , 06:10 AM
Subscriber
In the reference editor are you duplicating the referenced tree file. Or
If you instance it make sure you have input graph selected in the options. This wil retain all the inputs for your tree.

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion
# 3 17-02-2014 , 12:39 PM
The duplication is working but the instancing is not. So if I want to instance the particles it is still not working as well as duplicate special instancing.

# 4 17-02-2014 , 06:54 PM
I don't know if the instancer can instance other instance object. Check the documentation to check this. The duplicate special is much simper in that it creates transforms who share a single shape (just transformed to a different position) where as the particle instances takes a shape and generates it at your particle positions. You just get a display of this in the viewport but in reality its probably a procedural call at render time. If this procedural doesn't support the instancing of other instance shapes it will either give you an error ( it really should do that ) when you try and make your instance and / or ignore the instance object you are trying to re-instanace.

FX supervisor - double negative