Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 25-09-2014 , 09:47 PM

Modelling mesh problem (mesh will not clean up)

I've been following this tutorial up to this point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hcprgma-yE

but seem to be having trouble with perfecting the mesh for the body. When smoothed out using the 3 key, some of the faces/edges are skewed and twisted. I have been able to resolve some of these by deleting the faces and re-extruding the edges, then merging the vertices to seal the polygons. But no matter how many times I try to fix some of these, I can not get them to smooth out.
I have attempted to merge edges instead of polygons, but this doesn't work. Also, when deselcted and smoothed out using the 3 key, there are numerous ugly, defined seam-like edges along the model, where there shouldn't be any.

(Perspective viewport)

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-09-2014 , 09:48 PM
Lifetime Member
If you upload your scene I'll take a look at it.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 25-09-2014 , 10:28 PM
The thin red line
Check to see if the are any normal are flipped the wrong way go to panel/lighting/two sided lighting un tick that, if any polys are black they are facing the wrong way just flip them............dave

# 4 26-09-2014 , 09:31 AM
you have to merge edges also, not only vertices. or try to delete faces and then use "fill hole" one by one instead of extruding edges.

# 5 02-10-2014 , 05:38 PM
If it helps, here's a zip of the file itself. Many thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: zip blasterboy.zip (71.0 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by Xooberon; 02-10-2014 at 05:44 PM.
# 6 02-10-2014 , 05:58 PM
ah, i found out, what the problem was - many of the faces have their normals oriented wrong. in the viewport go to the lighting->two sided lighting and turn it off. then you will see, which faces have wrong normals. then you select all these black faces and go to polygons->normals->reverse.

# 7 11-10-2014 , 11:16 PM
Spectacular. That actually worked! Thank you so much. Any idea how something like that occurs in the first place? Just so I can stop it happening again?