Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-07-2015 , 10:48 PM

Help with Twist Deformers

TL;DR:

Basically, everything below is moderately irrelevant. I'm wondering if I can create three rotation controls for a single nonlinear twist deformer, wherein I would have one control for each end and another to independently twist the center. A default twist deformer only has one modifier for each end.

I want to twist a thing.

But the default twist deformer only twists two ends of the thing.

I can create two deformers on the same object, giving it a Twist1 and Twist2 Node.

This creates two start angles and two end angles: twist1.start angle (T1S), twist1.end angle(T1E) and twist2.start angle (T2S), twist2.end angle (T2S); the center two are adjacent: T1E/T2S.

I connect T1E and T2S to a single control curve's X rotation axis.

When I twist T1S and T2E (the outermost twist controls) it works just fine.

When I twist the center two, however, the entire object rotates with it.

I have tried workarounds where I've ignored T1E and T2S (the center two) and created a wire deformer square that deforms the center, but this leaves me with some wobble in the flexiplane.

That's the circumstance. I can provide pics if needed.

Any help at all is appreciated. user added image Thanks!

# 2 14-07-2015 , 10:05 PM
The thin red line
Could you provide a picture of what you are trying to do................dave

# 3 20-07-2015 , 06:01 AM
Sorry; I should have done this from the start.

Here's the same post, pics included (I'm too lazy to change anything else haha):

TL;DR:

I'm wondering if I can create three rotation controls for a single nonlinear twist deformer, wherein I would have one control for each end and another to independently twist the center. A default twist deformer only has one modifier for each end.

Long version.

I want to twist a thing:

user added image

I want to twist it in three places, but the default twist deformer only twists two ends of the thing:

user added image

I can create two deformers on the same object, giving it a Twist1 and Twist2 Node:

user added image

This creates two start angles and two end angle attributes:

user added image

I create three controls: one for each end and a third for my intended central twist deform:

user added image

In the Connection Editor, I connect T1E and T2S to their respective curve's X rotation axis and T1S/T2E to their Central Control:

user added image

When I twist T1S and T2E (the outermost twist controls) it works just fine:

user added image

When I twist the center two (T1E and T2S), however, the entire object rotates with it:

user added image

I have tried workarounds where I've foregone using the Twist Deformers' medial controls and created a wire deformer square that deforms the center, but this leaves me with some wobble in the flexiplane, even though all three controls are rotated at exactly 90 degrees:

user added image

Any help at all is appreciated. user added image Thanks!