Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 11-07-2003 , 10:00 AM
No one can make the right decision for you. Decide by yourself and before making any purchase, check out all demos . If you feel most comfortable with one application, go with it. Regardless of odds and ends of other apps. In the core, the features are more or less similar, one prog is better for animation, the other for modeling tasks etc.
But what really counts is that YOU feel comfortable with your decision. It`s pointless having a powerful and expensive app, but the workflow doesn`t feel right for you.

# 17 11-07-2003 , 03:48 PM
Well, It is pointless to say that one prog is better than another one, because when it comes down to it, just about anything can be done on one if it is possible on another. Try a few things out before you dive into one. Good luck though man.user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 18 11-07-2003 , 04:39 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by v8z
OK well I downloaded it. What's the main difference between it and the full version?

It should suit while I'm learning though, ok so first question is,
how do I Pan with only two mouse buttons?

Owen

you have all functions of maya complete. your renders have a watermark and you are prohibited to use it commercially. since ple 4.5 you can even open normal maya files but you can only save as ple propritary binary format.

oh and another difference is that you cannot use other plugins than the ones provided with maya.

edit: oh oops - i did not see there is a page 2 - so i repeated what was said before user added image

# 19 11-07-2003 , 04:57 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! So far I've downloaded the PLE and have played with it a little. I'm going to try and go through as many tutorials that I can find before I decide anything. Problem is, most of the tutorials I've seen are mid-to high level, only found one or two newbie level tutorials so far.

Owen

# 20 11-07-2003 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
there's a giraffe tutorial on some site, shouldn't be too hard to find. that got me started with polys.
also check out digital-tutors.

welcome to the SM forum btwuser added image

<a href="https://www.d2lodshop.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">D2lodshop</a>
<a href="https://www.gatcity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">GAT City</a>
<a href="https://www.rhymbox.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">XMPP instant messaging</a>
# 21 11-07-2003 , 06:25 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by drknow
Hehe, I think M just misunderstood you. Maya is the way to go if you ask me.

Thats what i said drknow user added image.. i was just commenting on max is actually a great program, but i much prefer maya. Also theres some benifits to modelling in max.. but many more benefits for modelling in maya. I also was serious when i said you cant get maya, and not have a 3 button mouse.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 22 11-07-2003 , 06:41 PM
Subscriber
I started making things in Max 2.5 a few times and it was a glorious disaster. That's rather old now of course. First models I made 'properly' were in Milkshape, which is far far more basic than Maya (no wonder for the price!) but good fun to use, if a little restrictive. I still have it installed for converting mods.

Having tried trial versions of various things (mostly either old versions of things like Truespace from the cover disks of PC magazines or cut down free versions) I found Maya to be the most intuitive for the way I happen to work and that's why I use it. It just seems more logical and to flow better than the other things I tried, so like Tenshi I would say experiment.

But do get a mouse with a scroll wheel as I fear your Maya experience may not be much fun without one!

# 23 11-07-2003 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Witchy
But do get a mouse with a scroll wheel as I fear your Maya experience may not be much fun without one!

scroll wheel? you found anything useful to assign to the scroll wheel? i tried to apply some to scroll up and down - but hit it too often when i was going for mmb - so i got rid again of scroll functions ...

# 24 11-07-2003 , 08:31 PM
I can use the scroll wheel as the MMB, I forgot that I had that function!
Owen

# 25 11-07-2003 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
Indeed- that's what I do as I have a scroll mouse for other things. So yes Babyduck I find many helpful uses for it and the other multifunction buttons on my rather fine mouse, thanks 8)