Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 106 24-08-2003 , 08:59 AM

Originally posted by NERDboy
ur dragon sucks!

rofl...he did it again and like last time....I am laughing in real time like an ape rofl lmao

# 107 24-08-2003 , 12:04 PM

Originally posted by silviapalara
Wow, thank you so much for the last postings!
Of course, the dragon models made me so envious that I could have cried...

But that´s the spirit. There´ll always be someone, who's better than you. It'd be sad, if not. Just try to keep your work at the highest level you can achieve and you´ll be able to create similiar results faster than you thought.

Thomas, your posting was extremely helpful, thank you so much for the list of hints! I have a question for everyboy though: the model is already a gazilion and a half polys, and yet as you can see, it is still quite boxy.

Well, that's because you have to work on the profile of the geometry itself. I hope you understand what I mean. Dont try to just add geometry because a lot of geometry makes your model better, add geometry because you really work with it. What I want to say is: You can create a cube that consists of 100.000.000 Polys and it´ll still look boxy. It´s always better to work with less geometry and add some, if you need to.

I agree 100% about detail, which is why I am leaving the skin last to texture, because I know it's going to take A LOT of time, trial and error and banging my head against the wall.

I like banging! ;-)

I am leaning towards using displacement and bump maps rather than adding more modeling detail to it. Do you think it's a smart way to go?
Thanks everybody! [/B]

That depends. I personally think it's WAY harder to achieve the results you want with Displacement Mapping than with modeling itself.

# 108 24-08-2003 , 12:49 PM

That depends. I personally think it's WAY harder to achieve the results you want with Displacement Mapping than with modeling itself.

True but it'll be good practice and it could save a lot of time (imagine trying to model dragon scales one...... by....... one....... by.......zzzzzzzz user added image)

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 109 24-08-2003 , 04:23 PM
Yeah, but imagine this dragon, every scale throws shadows, extremely detailed,.... aarrrrhhh, I have to model a dragon! ;-)

# 110 24-08-2003 , 04:35 PM
yeah but a displacement map would also cast shadows..... it's a bump map that doesnt cast shadows onto other geometry... user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 111 24-08-2003 , 05:54 PM
Yep, but IMO it´s way harder to create and configure the displacement map + you´d have to have a VERY, very detailed mesh.

Let's just say it's a matter of taste ;-)

# 112 24-08-2003 , 06:14 PM
displacement works by creating that geometry for you, you better keep the geometry you are going to apply a displacement AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE... thats the whole point of using displacements: you want to see that ultra high tessellated geometry that displacement outputs in the final render you dont want it in the maya workview.

You can have 1 simple quad poly and aply it a displacement and end with a *really* high polycount, but tessellated just for render (you can convert it to polys and then tweack if you please... but is lots less efficient)

Maybe youll want to look the documentation of displacement, projection mapping, transparency, layering and baking to file textures... is not that hard to master and it *will* make *any* model render lots better...

Also thres turorials on normal mapping im triyng to follo that show how you can make a *really* low poly version on something you modeled with insane polycount and then just obtain a displacement map from the high polymodel to a ply to the low poly model.
The gratest part is that i saw an example of it and you just cant tell em apart... (plus you can further edit the map to add even smaller details...)
Con is that render time will get affected as it converts to polys and outputs loads more polys than a cleverly hi-detailed model...
(but then you wouldnt be able to edit a so high-level of detail in realtime)

Last edited by dragonfx; 24-08-2003 at 07:21 PM.
# 113 24-08-2003 , 07:07 PM
also youll have to tackle photoshop.
And if making a texture is an art by itself making a displacement is even a harder art, but there are ways to sidestep that. To, for example, make scales, by modeling 1 really detailed scale, then making a group of them positioned in a way that you later can pattern, then rendering to obtain a displacement (see art of maya or maybe its also in the f1) or obtain it trough the normal mapping trick(that last one just maybe, i think i alrready said im doing that tut when i have spare time). Then you take that to photoshop and pattern it or plug it to a brush and paint over the uvs... you can then adjust the global displacement with the displacement AND brightness/contrast(dunno it they are called like that but i know whre they are and how to use em) sliders...

Last edited by dragonfx; 24-08-2003 at 07:12 PM.
# 114 24-08-2003 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NERDboy
ur dragon sucks!

So u gonna so us how a dragon should be modeled?

# 115 24-08-2003 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
NERDboy your so lucky dude that i am not a Moderator and thats all i have to say on that point ,,,silviapalara
dragon is great bit of work looking from where i am i only wish i had her skills .. you go girl

P4 3.2 ATI 9800xt 256. 1gb ram 19"lcd ..
# 116 24-08-2003 , 09:32 PM
===== This Thread Official Hijacked =====

Hehe user added image

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 117 24-08-2003 , 09:46 PM

Originally posted by ckyuk
So u gonna so us how a dragon should be modeled?

1time ill so u ill start on monday and i will be finished in 2 weeks with out textures, with textures a month

# 118 24-08-2003 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
LoLoLoL,, I don't know my man,, you made a lot of people mad,, even if you complet it in 2 Days, you wont earn the Respect your looking for, people are going to pick it all a part, I think the smart thing to do is apologize to the people you Dissed and bow out. Because if ridiculing peoples work makes you feel better about your self, you must a have a lot of baggage hanging around your head and every one here’s going to open up a Can of Wope A$$ on your work.user added image

# 119 24-08-2003 , 10:01 PM
user added image

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 120 24-08-2003 , 10:02 PM
Subscriber

every one here’s going to open up a Can of Wope A$$ on your work

Speak for youself.

I hope you post your work in a different thread though Nerdboy as this thread is Silvia's.