Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 04-07-2011 , 09:52 AM
rm3d
hey loving this thread, i would not have thought about an apple in this way before user added image

just wondering bullet if that procedural pdf is available for download, this is definatly an area of maya i need to get into.

Ps the fruit is looking awesome

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 32 04-07-2011 , 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Thank you guys. I was really thinking about doing a video, so we'll see how that turns out. <3

- Genny
# 33 04-07-2011 , 10:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Yes it does....looking at it again I think the spots are to frequent Gen???still damn fine shading! Anyway...here is a simple plane lambert1.....and a sphere blinn...an IBL and 1 light. Now see how the IBL reflection ceases halfway down Genny?? why is that? because thats whats happening to my orange as well...this has me stumped. I know there will be a point where the IBL stops but it SHOULD be very near to the bottom? as theoretically light rays SHOULD still hit and reflect off the bottom until near the axis of the sphere....

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 34 04-07-2011 , 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah its probably a bit too grainy, it was trying out different nodes to introduce noise into the skin variation. Right now I'm trying to pull the larger specks out and away from the noise in the gradient. I don't know if I'm being slow user added image but the IBL reflection looks normal (apart from the texture distortion), the sphere is reflecting the plane and IBL environment.

- Genny
# 35 04-07-2011 , 10:59 AM
Lifetime Member
sorry chilled...for the bloody life of me I thought I had bookmarked it and DL'd it! I cant find the damn thing....I will scour my lappy again dude...damn.

Yeh Gen thats what its doing but I THOUGHT that the IBL would go almost to the plane?? hmmm.so thats why my orange looks funny....the IBL is only going halfway down...so I will have to change the surface then to get reflection? sorry if Im being a dummy mate...see to me the IBL should still reflect to the bottom of the sphere? unless Im getting the radial light vectors the wrong way around?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 36 04-07-2011 , 11:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Is this any better Gen?? I have raised the stage edges to block the IBL from direct reflect...that must have been the issue.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 37 04-07-2011 , 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
I can't really see the environment in the orange skin, though if you change the ibl's mapping to angular, it will most likely get rid of the texture distortion causing that big black hoop. Also you can try out more camera angles if you changed from a flat plane to a more studio like backdrop.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 38 04-07-2011 , 12:44 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks a heap Gen...will try some more he he he he

bullet1968