I am trying to animate some smooth subD clothing by simulating with a level 0 polygon mesh (the one I converted into subD) and using this mesh as a wrap deformer for the SubD.
Here is step-by-step what I have done:
1. model character body and garment (around 700-1000 polys each, as they will become SubD)
2. turn garment into cloth object (cloth --> create cloth object) and use Denim preset. Make character body a cloth collision object. Also there are several vertices of the cloth mesh constrained to this body. Not sure if that matters.
3. copy garment, quadrangulate, and convert to SubD
4. select SubD and then poly cloth and deform---> create wrap
5. Solve- cloth solves perfectly but the wrap deformer does not affect the SubD!
I have tried max influence from 0.01 to 500, and nothing works.
Not sure if this is relevant, but when I copy my cloth object and try to convert it to a cloth object, I get this error :
"Error: Not enough data was provided. The last 2 items will be skipped."
since the SubD is made from a copy of the cloth object could it somehow not work?
I have tried copying the base poly object and converting one copy to a cloth object and the other to subD, but I get the same error whether I use the original or the copy. The only way I can make cloth and a corresponding SubD seems to be to make no copies, create the cloth, copy that, quadrangulate it, and THEN convert to SubD. I have a feeling that this is the root of my problem.
Also, I made a low-poly sphere, put it inside the cloth object and made the cloth a wrap deformer for IT, and when I moved the cloth's verts around nothing happened. The sphere's wire DID turn purple when I selected the cloth, same with the SubD. Weird.
All help appreciated! Thanks much.